.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Teriyaki-ish Tuna

Finally I get back to cooking for the DH. I think I missed him while he was away in Munich for a day and a half. As I walked around the market in my neighborhood with my friend Laurie, (Laurie I forgot to thank you for treating me to breakfast today.) I spotted some fresh tuna and pencil thin asparagus.

Teriyaki-ish Tuna

Note: Be sure to buy the freshest fish you possibly can. I like my tuna medium to medium rare and not cold in the middle so I take the fish out of the refrigerator a few hours before I am ready to cook it.

2-tuna steaks (from 1/2" to 1" thick)
snipped chives
chopped cilantro
a sprinkle of black and/or white sesame seeds (toasted)
soy sauce/tamari
1 garlic clove (minced)
1 t. ginger (minced)
chili oil (optional)
sesame oil (several drops)
sugar/honey
salt and pepper

1. Start with the sauce first. Combine some soy sauce (start with 1/4 C.), garlic, ginger, sesame oil, chili oil (to taste) and sugar (start with 1 T. and taste to your liking) in a sauce pan. Heat and cook together, taste for seasoning, (I like mine sauce sweet and spicy). Add more ingredients until you have a sauce you like. Reduce the sauce a bit until it is thick and a bit syrupy. Set aside.

2. Dry the tuna steaks with paper towels and season with salt and pepper, then drizzle a few drops of oil onto them and rub to coat. Add the tuna to a really hot grill pan and let them cook. Turn only once but watch the sides of the tuna steaks as they cook, when the cooked portion comes to about 1/4 of the width of the steak, turn it immediately. They should only cook 1-2 minutes per side, depending on how thick your steaks are.

3. Remove the steaks from the grill pan, garnish with the sesame seeds, chopped cilantro and snipped chives. Slowly drizzle the sauce over the tuna and serve immediately.




All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Blogger A Novelist said...

This looks delicious. I love cooking with cilantro and I'm sure it complimented the flavors of the grilled tuna. Thanks for sharing. Yum!

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

very nice photo, Gina!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home