.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Italian Phonetic Alphabet

I used to have an ex-boyfriend who was never in the military but admired those who've served and were serving our country. He used to love watching old war movies and enjoyed history quite a bit. Through him I learned the American Phonetic or Military Alphabet; which is used quite frequently in military movies and spy films. It is also useful in all kinds of situations like reciting your drivers lic.#, an airline reservation, anything that has a mix of letters. I find myself using it quite a bit.

Here it is:

Alpha Bravo Charlie Delta Echo Foxtrot Golf Hotel India
Juliet Kilo Lima Mike November Oscar Papa Quebec Romeo
Sierra Tango Uniform Victor Whiskey X-ray Yankee Zulu


What I did not know what that the Italians have a similar thing. Last week, I heard Deme talking to a postal customer service representative. A package that my sister in the States mailed to me just never arrived and I wanted to file a complaint. The USPS website says it arrived in Italy but it stuck in limbo somewhere. As he rattled off my name, my sisters’ name and her address; I heard him using the Italian Phonetic alphabet. (Most of the words are derived from Italian cities)

My name (using this alphabet) is:

Genova, Imola, Ancona (GIA)

Padova, Ancona, Roma, Savona, Otranto, Napoli, Savona (PARSONS)

Both alphabets are quite useful as Italians have a difficult time spelling American words, for example Nashville and Americans can't even fathom Corso Vittorio Emmanuele. Ha! Ha! I better learn the Italian one, pronta!

Here it is:

Ancona, Bologna, Como, Domodossola, Empoli, Firenze, Genova,
Hacca, Imola, Jolly, Kappa, Livorno, Milano, Napoli,
Otranto, Pisa/Palermo, Quartomiglio, Roma, Savona/Siena,
Torino, Udine, Venezia, Wagner, Xilofono, York, Zara


All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

4 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Still haven't gotten it? That's crazy. I hope you don't outgrow them while you wait.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So cool. I'm going to have to learn both. ;-)

Hope you get your package soon.

Best,
Paz

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Gia said...

I'm sending you a package too...How confusing it will be when the only difference between the sender and receiver is the middle initial!

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe... I just love how you said, "I used to have an ex-boyfriend...." sooo, what is he now?

Take care ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home