.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

To Dust or Not to Dust?

A few posts back I wrote about the noise pollution that I am subject to living in Torino. There is however something that bothers me a bit more and that thing is dust. I love to leave the windows open for fresh air but hate the dust that comes in with them. The worst dusting job of all time is the dusting of the shutters of the windows and doors.

Italy truly is the dustiest place I have ever lived, and it's not just me with that opinion. A few other expats feel the same way. You can dust one day, then miraculously that same surface is dusty in less than 24 hours. Living in the city, I think it must come from a variety of sources. Pollution from cars/heating, lint from the clothes that dry outside, dust and dirt debris from plants and soil on almost every terrace, balcony and rooftop, dust from everyone whacking their rugs all over the city, construction dust and more.

I dust all the time and can't escape the feeling that my home is dirty, dirty, dirty. Over the past year, I have given up and only dust about once a week or when guests arrive, in between dustings I have decided to turn a blind eye.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

13 Comments:

At 7:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if it's because of the high humidity, but I remember dusting and then the next day finding dust balls as if I never dusted in 20 years. YUCK

 
At 8:55 AM, Blogger Sara said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Sara said...

There is a saying in our house. It goes:

Dusting is for Chris to do.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I agree! There is always dust in our home in Italy. It doesn't help that we live along side a river (more like an over grown brook than a river). I will dust and an hour later, it needs it again.

The other day I noticed kitty paw prints in dust across our black living room table. I thought it was time to grab my swiffer.

Cyn

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger RennyBA said...

I came to you're blog from Blogtopsites and have red you're posts with interest as I love traveling.
In Norway we have a saying: "Better with some dust in the corners than a clean hell", but I take it that is no comfort to you:-)

 
At 2:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is true. And I hate to admit it also, Gina but I also get that feeling the house is always dirty. However, here in Taormina, it is much worse than it was in Ivrea. I leave the shutter doors open all day, and there is a film of dust. Also, there is construction going on right outside that worsens it. I give up also, once a week, e basta. Otherwise, one could become an obsessive compulsive cleaner. I would rather obsess over mold! ha ha

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger DZER said...

OK ... here's a disturbing dust fact for you:

About 80 percent of dust in the average home is made up of dead human skin ... ugh!

 
At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Torino is definitely the dustiest place I've ever lived in. Liguria is dusy too, but at least the dust is clean! The previous comment is pretty scary, but I definitely don't think this is the case in Turin...at least I hope our dead skin is not so dirty and greasy!!!!!

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Wow! San Francisco is the dutiest place that I've ever lived. Partly b/c in old buildings there is no such thing as central heat nor air-conditioning. As a result, when I had an apt here, I left the windows open 24/7. The black pollution dust that would accumulate would disgust me. I would clean, clean and clean throughout the day and still would be left with the dust in between my cleaning sessions, so I can definitely empathize.

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in a Southern California suburb (not alot of traffic or dirt - alot of grass and trees) and I'm always wondering where all the dust comes from. So I think if you leave the windows open it's going to get dusty fast no matter where you live. And I hate to dust!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Voice in Colombo said...

Between dust & mud, if some one ask me to choose one, I'll definately go for mud!

Cuz, i hate dusty environments. Here in Colombo too is a dusty City. I like when it rain, so that the dust turn into mud :-)

Atleast it prevent us from breathing dad air, though you'd get dirty by mud thrown from a moving car!

Voice in Colombo

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger Jane said...

Gia,
I HATE dusting--in fact all housework. I think I will just assume that the dust stays up with you and doesn't get down as far as Tuscany--that way I won't see it when it comes. That philosophy pretty well works here in sunny San Diego--all our dust stays up the road in sultry LA!

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Ann said...

Along with the constant dusting, the constant sweeping and mopping the floors. Can dust/sweep one day, next day more dust bunnies.... Can't win for losing.
Ann
http://www.blogcharm.com/amborg

 

Post a Comment

<< Home