.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Noise Pollution

Living in a city has its benefits. The magazine/newspaper stand is minutes away, so is the self-service video machine, as well as the little grocery store around the corner. Most of the time, all I have to do is cross the street in order to access the pharmacy, tobacco store (for stamps), things are close and things are convenient.

The noise of the city however is beginning to really get on my nerves. We have chosen to live on a busy street in a nice neighborhood, but then all of Torino is busy and there is no escaping the noise. As I write this I am listening to a jackhammer that began at 8 am. Everyone at one time or another, is having major reconstruction done on their homes. I should also mention that many Italians, mainly my neighbors, like to watch television with the volume turned up very loud.

I was awoken my the recycling truck as it dumped a load of glass bottles into its hold. Women whack their rugs early in the morning, horns go off at all hours of the night, but when a big soccer game takes place the horns go off continuously. Dogs are left on terraces and balconies all day and they bark when the wind blows. I have been in some quiet apartments, usually the outside noise is reduced by the addition of double pane glass. If we were to buy an apartment in Italy, I would opt for this solution. For now, with summer approaching, I sit in the house with a few windows open so I can catch a cool breeze. The noise permeates everything. You would think that after a year I would have gotten used to it but I still haven't.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

the sumemr is the worse, when the windows are open. *ugh*

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm writing to you from the cent-
ral coast in California.I have four
daughters and we've been reading your blog for awhile now.What GREAT recipes!We have tried a few so far.YUM!!!Congratulations on your pregnancy!!How exciting..Sounds like you're already PRO!!AS for the noise we have it here to,but when I was first pregnant I was so tired.So you are not alone.I remember with my first daughter I lived near a church.I was trying to take a nap on a Saturday afternoon.(Five mos along)Well ,someone was getting married and of course they had to ring the bells.:( I had a melt down.I came very close to calling
the church to tell them to STOP ringing the bells.Long story short,
don't get in the way of pregnant mommy trying to take a nap.:)Take care and Good Luck.(It's no quieter
Here ;) )
the church

 
At 9:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The noise...I remember...UGH!

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Dianka said...

I know exactly what you mean! My sympathies!

 
At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, well I've been reading your blog for awhile too. I'm a certified italiophile, foodie and wine guy for that matter. Love the food photo's (especially the ribs) yet it took this topic to get my fingers tapping away. I live partime in a London flat the other half of my time I spend in the Pacific Northwest.

I've never heard such noise until aftger I moved to London. What's with all people honking their cars and motorcycles every second? People honk for any reason. It's driving me crazy. Add sirens from the police and ambulance every 15 mins and people who have a penchant to yell orders at others across the street (especially those that fall out of the pub) and it's a nighmare. Apparently, I have to move out of town for some peace.

There! I got it off my chest. Thank-you!
PS would you ever consider living in the countryside?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home