.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Ribs, Ribs, Ribs

One thing that is hard to find here in Italy for me is good BBQ sauce, liquid smoke is unheard of and molasses is rare. So of course when I get cravings it’s time to improvise.

First I started with the BBQ sauce, I like my ribs sweet and spicy, while I know others like theirs tangy and salty. I had an old recipe for the sauce and winged the rest. I modeled my sauce after a brand called “Armadillo” that I used to use in the States.

BBQ Sauce

1 C. Ketchup-I used regular ketchup and banana ketchup (from the Filipino store and yes made from bananas)
1 C. cider vinegar
2 T. orange marmalade
1 T. peach preserves or apricot
¼.C honey or corn syrup or molasses or a mix of all-I used honey
½ t. salt
Freshly cracked pepper
¼ t. garlic powder or flakes or 1 garlic clove minced
¼ t. onion powder or flakes or 1 T. minced onion
1 t. hot sauce of your choice
Pinch of dried cumin powder
Pinch of dried coriander powder
2 T. tomato paste

1. Place all the ingredients in a deep sauce pan and let simmer until the sauce is thick. Stir frequently. Taste and adjust the seasonings to your liking.

2. Place ribs, baby back, county style ribs or beef ribs in a plastic bag or container and pour cool sauce over the ribs to cover. Let marinate at least 24 hours.

3. Place ribs in foil in a 325 F. preheated oven and let cook for about 1 hour. After an hour open up the foil to let the ribs brown and the sauce caramelize.

4. Serve with baked potatoes or better yet good ole potato salad. Yummy!





All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yum, yum! Looks absolutely delicious!

 
At 11:30 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Great picture, the ribs look wonderful. I have seen banana ketchup before, but have been too chicken to try it out. Can you tell me about it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home