.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

The Cat Saga Continues

After 11 months I finally got my act together and asked Deme to bring him back with him to Torino. After fluid therapy for his troubled kidneys, a teeth cleaning (extraction included), a laser procedure that repaired some gum overgrowths in this mouth, the cat was well enough to travel. He had all this done to him about 2 months ago and was deemed old but strong and resilient by the vet.

Medical records were copied, health certificates were signed, special prescription food was purchased, he was micro-chipped and so we thought it was all going to be okay. This morning when I went to pick Deme up from the airport, there was no cat. He never got on the flight that left Seattle and was headed to Atlanta, he missed his layover and is still in Atlanta now (along with another bag of Deme's).

Delta Airlines plans to have him on the same flight that he missed but one day later. I cannot tell you how infuriated I am. I called Delta constantly for 2 hours straight this morning until I spoke to someone who saw the cat and knew of his whereabouts. He is in the animal kennel at the Atlanta, Dennis, a great man, told me he took the cat out of his flight kennel and placed him in a cat run with a litter box and even told me he had some of the special kidney food that Bak-Gai is supposed to be eating. I was so worried that he might take a turn for the worse if he is not given access to a litter box and his special food. After explaining to Dennis all the intricate details of the cat's condition, he told me they had a vet on call and if need be he could get medical attention. I felt much better but not as good as I will feel when he is safely home with me.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

8 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Okay, I have a few things regarding this post:

1) I am SOOOOOO...glad that you convinced Deme to bring him to Italy. :). That should put your mind at ease.

2) UUUGH...poor kitty locked away in kennel until the flight situation gets all straight.

3) Thank goodness for people like Dennis. You will be reunited soon.

I am going through the same thing at the moment with my kitties. I have to get them microchipped, health certificates...plus, they have to be USDA inspected (say what?) to be able to travel with me to France. Ditto with my bunny. *sigh*. Isn't it amazing what we do for our family :)?

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger Choco Pie said...

Poor Kitty, and poor you, worrying about him. It's so great that there's somebody taking care of the pets caught up in airline snafus.

It's a funny world, isn't it, when we can talk about cats missing flights and having layovers.

Hope you'll be reunited soon.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Poor guy. I would be all tore up if something happened to Saul. Give an update when he's home. Photos too!

Sara

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoping to see DropShots of the newewst Italian.
He'll be with you shortly. What an ordeal.

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Ciao Gina! I was wondering about your cat this morning and happy to find that you wrote a post about him. It sounds like he is in good hands. Just think, he will be home with you soon and in a week, he won't even remember all of this. Best wish to you and the kitty!
Cyn

 
At 4:22 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

It's bad enough when bags get lost between flights, but a cat is a live creature. Although at least you have found that it's cared after in the proper way, it must be very bad for it to be away from home in a stranger environment and deprived of his human acquaintences. 8-(

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

Is your kitty coming home today? Poor little guy! At least he was stuck in Atalanta and not some strange foreign country!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear that your kitty will be with you soon! I hope everything is okay and I want to see pictures of the little one so that we know he's safe and sound. I'm sure everything will be okay with him... he's very resilient!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home