.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Weekend Dog Blogging # 6 Who's Your Co-Pilot?


Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is "us" on our way back to Torino from Rome last weekend. I can't tell you how much comfort and companionship my little dog has offered me over the years. Now he is getting older and quirkier. Only recently, since we arrived in Italy, has he gotten anxious in the car. He paces, pants, whines and tries to seek comfort on our laps. After months on trying different things, such as "Rescue Remedy" from the U.S., I took him to the vet and he was prescribed some liquid Valium. It breaks my heart to have to drug him and to see him fighting against the effects. In the end, he was a bit calmer but still able to bark at the guy who cleaned our windshield at the gas station. We are trying to find someone to dogsit for us in Torino but have not had any luck yet.

5 Comments:

At 8:49 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Aww, what a sweetie.

 
At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder what's changed with the little pup. I mean, why is he nervous now, but never in the past? Just age? Seems odd. I'll dog sit for you. I love critters.

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is a cutie!Could it be a stage-not age related but move related?
Maybe at some point you won't have to medicate him for long trips. I get anxious in the car on the roads in Italy too by the way.

 
At 3:41 AM, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Hi there - I'm also an American expat (blog.sararosso.com) from California - I live in Pavia, outside of Milan, and I found your blog a week or two ago, but I was busy this week (job interview!) and didn't know about the expat get-together until today...I would love to link to your blog (great recipes) and maybe email you? SARA

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's Rescue Remedy?

Like someone mentioned above, it could be stage related. Still getting used to the move and travel... Of course, I'm just guessing....

Perhaps, before long drives with the dog, you can get him to exert a lot of energy (like taking a nice long walk), so that he's tired by the time he gets into the car. Too tired to get anxious or nervous in the car.

Paz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home