.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A Food Blog Controversy

I am only getting on this bandwagon because I believe in "information gathering". The Julie/Julia project is a food blog about a woman living in NY and her attempts to re-create 524 of Julia Child's recipes in 365 days. Her blog landed a book deal, a six figure book deal. The food blogging world is a bit upset about her recent comments, see this link for the details.

6 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I used to read Julie Powell's blog about cooking Julia in a year, and sometimes it was just hilarious. She was one of the first food bloggers out there and she was net.famous for a while. I am guessing she feels eclipsed by other very successful blogging projects out there, not just in cooking, but otherwise.

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm checking out those two links (the one in the above post too) right away! I'd heard about the Julia/Julie project.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Ziz said...

I saw your comment on Sweetnicks and came on over to say hi!

I just happened upon your blog last night for the first time, and here you are again! :)

Yeah, I really wish she wouldn't get any more positive publicity about that book.

It nearly made me gag when Martha said "And paying homage to Julia Child is Julie Powell" (Or something to that effect.

Martha should have said "Riding on the coat tails of Julia Child and ripping her off, as she completely ignores writing about Julia in her book, Julie Powell"

:)

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Ziz said...

Whoops! I guess it was several nights ago! Don't know what the hell I was thinking! :) Oopsie :D

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

So say something controversial, Gia, and we can have a good gossip and get you tons of publicity.
I think you could do a great fusion cuisine. I thought I could, but honestly, there isn't enough difference between French-Anerican and Italian cookery to get anywhere important.

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger The Library Lady said...

I read about Julie Powell's blog in the press a year or two ago, read it a few times, and found it repulsive. She is foul mouthed, self absorbed and shallow and I hate the fact that her name is mentioned in the same breath as Julia Child, who is one of my cooking idols.

For that matter, I hate thinking of Martha Stewart mentioning Julia Child. Julia was a gracious lady who taught Americans not to worry about making mistakes when they cook--that the chicken could fall on the floor or the crepes stick to the pan. Martha espouses perfection and makes people feel as if they have to be perfect to succeed.

I was surfing around tonight and happened to come across your blog and I really like it. I'll be back!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home