.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Autumn Soup # 3 Potato and Leek Soup

Why does it always seem like I'm making white soups? Well here is another to add to the list. My darling husband makes the best potato and leek soup I have ever tasted. (He will readily eat a creamy soup.) He wowed my super picky, vegetarian friend in Seattle. I copy his recipe and hope every time that it turns out as well. I adore this soup because it is so simple. You taste leeks, potatoes and that’s it. It’s light and wonderfully homey all in the same spoonful.

Potato and Leek Soup
Serves 2-4 as a first course

2-3 leeks, split, rinsed and sliced very thinly, white parts only
2-3 potatoes, nice white or yellow potatoes, no baking potatoes, diced ½ in.
Water, yes water not broth
Salt
Pinch of white pepper
Butter
Snips of chive
¼ to ½ C. cream (optional)

1. Put a bit of butter into a large saute pan, heat until the bubbling subsides then add the leeks.
2. Cook for 30 mins. on low or until the leeks are falling apart and soft.
3. Pass the leeks through a food mill and add them back to the pan, add the potatoes. Barely cover the potatoes with water add a pinch of salt and let cook on low until the potatoes are very soft, mushy is okay.
4. With a whisk, gently whisk the soup to a creamy consistency. Do NOT place the soup in a blender, the potatoes will become gluey. (I’ve done this and learned the hard way.)
5. For a richer soup, you can mad ¼-½ C. of heavy cream. Taste for salt and garnish with snipped chives.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

2 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

I just got back from the grocery store with all the ingredients to make Potato and Leek soup tonight- what a coincidence!! This recipe is virtually the same as mine which is from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. It's soooooo comforting. Hard to believe it is made with water and not broth isn't it?
Kim

 
At 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The soup looks absolutely delish! Just found out that the hubby doesn't really care for creamy types of soup... bah! I was thinking I would make some really good clam or corn chowder one night... oh well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home