.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Autumn Soup #1-Cauliflower, Leek and Fennel

I love soups and I love vegetables. Cream based soups tend to be fatty and overly rich so I invented a few healthy soups. The first one was a curry, carrot and squash soup. It was warm, spicy and tangy. We ate it so quickly that I did not a get a chance to take a photo. This is my second soup this week. I figure this is a great way for us to get our vegetables. I added a bit of crèma deliciosa (I think this is the Italian word or sour cream or creme fraiche) for richness and tang.

Here’s the recipe:

1 leek, cleaned and sliced thinly
1 med. head of cauliflower, cut up in florets
1 large fennel, diced
chicken broth
½ t. white pepper
½ t. salt

1. Sauté the leeks in some olive oil until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the cauliflower and fennel and sauté for an additional 10 minutes.
3. Add enough stock to barely cover the vegetables. Add salt and pepper.
4. Cook until the vegetables are tender about 20-30 minutes.
5. Cool a bit, put the soup into the blender and puree, at this point you can pass the soup through a fine mesh sieve or not.
6. Serve warm and with a dollop of crème fraiche.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

8 Comments:

At 10:21 AM, Blogger Mona said...

That looks so pretty! Yummmm!!
Reminds me of a soup my mom got out recently. Asparagus with a big dallop of creme fraiche in the middle. I think that's going to be my new soup fave!

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The recipe/picture look so good! I'll have to try it soon.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo and interesting ingredients! Yum!

 
At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that recipe sounds simple, yet delicious.

Paz

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

testing...I just figured out how to post changing pop up blocking..... good....have fun in Rome....!

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Looks yummy! My Potato and Leek soup turned out great this week too- doesn't Autumn just inspire us to make soups!

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the ingredients of that soup so will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing. Miss you. Laurie

 
At 1:28 PM, Anonymous Michael in Ontario said...

Going to make the soup for dinner. Sounds delicious. Pls. keep posting recipes. You're now on my favs list. Wow what an honour for you! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home