.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Telline aka The Cutest Little Clams Ever

We made another trip to the grand market today. Deme loved the variety and we had a blast. We came away with these tiny, delicate little clams. He said they were little but had wonderful flavor (of course I wanted to give them a try). I was a bit wary since from the looks of them, it was going to be a labor intensive lunch. As it turns out, he was right. They were fantastic and not much more work that shelling pistachios or sunflower seeds.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

We bought about 1 kilo and in that kilo I think there were easily hundreds of little clams.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Clams and pasta in a simple white wine sauce just cannot be beat. I wanted to add some tomato and make it more of a hearty dish but Deme said the tomato would mute the fresh flavor of these delicate beauties. (If you want to try them, see my recipe for Fasolari con Lunguini. Adjust the time, since these are much, much smaller.)


On a bit of a negative note:
I did feel sad however at seeing all the little canaries, finches and love birds cramped into small cages. The rabbits, geese and chickens did not fare much better.

8 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Hey! Those little clams are gorgeous! I had the good fortune of trying "steamers" while in New England. They are a type of clam that is shelled at the table and dipped into seasoned water to rinse, then dipped into clarified butter then popped into your mouth. Delicious!

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

If my husband finds this blog, he might ask to go stay at your house for a while. I do not eat seafood, but this is just the kind of dish he would LOVE. Needless to say, since I don't eat seafood I don't cook it. Maybe one afternoon I will be brave and give this dish a try. It is hard to cook a meal that you can't taste.

How in the world did a girl who hates sea food end up in a country like Italy?

Cyn

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Mona said...

I remember the sad bird cages from Paris marche days. Yah, it was a bit depressing...
On a lighter and smaller note, those clams are so cute! They looked huge by themselves until I see them swimming in the pasta. I love bitesize clams, the big ones are a little too much for me to swallow, literally.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

My favourite-favourite way to eat spaghetti--absolute favourite! And my what a delicate and pretty photo!
Kim

 
At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! My wife and I are going to dinner tonight now! Seriously! Capri here we come! I want Sea Food Spagetti!

 
At 2:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! My wife and I are going to dinner tonight now! Seriously! Capri here we come! I want Sea Food Spagetti!

 
At 4:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What beautiful little clams!
We have tiny clams called "shijimi" here in Japan, but they are nowhere near as pretty as those.
They are almost always used for miso soup, but I guess there's no reason why they wouldn't be good in pasta- I'll have to try it.

 
At 3:14 AM, Blogger FoodNinja said...

I love the clam pic.. they are so cute.. ninja could hunt clams instead of his foes for a day... thanks for the insparation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home