.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

The Kitchen Meme-"Show Us Your Kitchen!"

Funny I am tagged two days in a row. First by Rowena and now by Judith in Umbria, a fellow ex-pat. Here are the instructions for this Meme, translated from il cavoletto di bruxelles.

1) Show us your kitchen ( a picture) and tell us what is it about this place that reflects your own personality.
2) Open a cupboard (the one you feel to open), take a picture and tell us what we see.
3) Present us your favorite kitchen-based electrodomestic tool.
4) Take out the ingredients you like the most, the ones you always keep stored.
5) My little steel friend: present us to your favorite cooking/baking recipient.


This is my kitchen, after dinner no less, when it is the most "used". It's long and narrow but not too small. I would love more counter space but so far has served me well. We have a microwave, a dishwasher and a stove. What more could I ask for? I would not say that this kitchen suits my personality, it is an apartment kitchen and I would love a grand country kitchen, like Judith's! Check hers out it is fab. Since I spend most of my time in the kitchen, it makes sense for it to be the biggest room in the house. We made due with the space but someday I hope to design my dream kitchen.
This is the second part of our kitchen, next to the fridge and behind the door. I love having a door to the kitchen since I can close it instead of smoking up the house. The bakers rack was a great way to store all our pots, pans and bakeware. One of the great things about it is that we can take it away with us when we move. Notice how we stock up on water like a typhoon is looming. I really hate buying water and lugging it out of the car, in the elevator and into the kitchen, so we hoard.

This is my favorite electric item, it's a food processor, a mixer and a blender all in one; basically it replaces three appliances. The motor is not as powerful as our old Kitchen Aid but it's sufficient.

Here are the items I cannot live without: English Breakfast tea, honey, red rooster hot sauce, chili flakes, vinegars, oils, soy sauce, salt and pepper. If I were stuck on a deserted island, I could probably rustle up some lizards to eat but for me to enjoy them, I'll need a Guamanian finadene sauce, made with chilis, soy sauce and vinegar or lemon juice, hence all the essential condiments.

Here's a look in to my OCD cabinets, all canisters are labeled with my label maker. Yes, I am a freak and I know it. I've got things categorized. Whole wheat bread crumbs, semolina, potato flour, flour tipo "00", don't let me go on. I know I am sick! I will seek professional help if it gets worse. Ha! Ha!

This is my favorite pan. I love my wok but it does not have grill marks on it. This All Clad grill is awesome and the handle stays cool. It's non-stick, a real breeze to clean up.

What a fun Meme! Thanks Judith for including me. Shall I tag you for the 23rd and 5th Meme?

9 Comments:

At 9:13 PM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

Too soon! I only began in August and don't have 23 posts yet.

 
At 12:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you don't mind doing these meme things because you do it with such gusto! Me, I hem and haw for a few days and then just throw it out..."warts and all" to quote a famous writer. ;-)

I am actually looking forward to being without internet. I've been dying to read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons, but just cannot find the proper time to sit quietly and read!

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

This sounds like fun. I had never heard of a "tage" or "meme" before. I did see someone else "showing us their kitchen" on a blog.

I LOVE the pic of your puppy. How is his diet going?
Cyn

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

I didn't like "Angels and Demons" at all, but then I didn't like "DaVinci Code" either. Better to get in the kitchen where your talents exceed D Brown's by kilometers, Rowena.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Mona said...

I love seeing pictures of everyone's kitchens. It's great!
Your kitchen reminds me of the one we had in Paris. Long and narrow with lots of build-it-yourself shelving :) Happy Friday!

 
At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fun kitchen!

Judith, you can still do the meme if you want even if you don't have 23 posts. You just use the closest to the 23rd post (if you don't have 23 posts) and the closest to the 5th line (if you don't have a 5th line).

Best,
Paz

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

While I didn't get memed I liked the idea so I've posted pics of my kitchen on my blog if anyone's interested :)
Kim

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I read both of the Dan Brown books and enjoyed them. The DaVinci Code was better, but both are worth the read (there are a few holes in Angels and Demons). Last night I saw the new Dan Brown book in the window of a closed book shop. I hope I can find it in english soon.

I have never read John Grisham, but I have heard his new book is set in the city of Bologna. Might be worth checking out.

Kim, I am on my way to check out your kitchen now...

Cyn

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Viaggiatore said...

Hi, Gia-Gina. Found your blog thru the expats site, and it's great. Love the recipes! I'll have to do the 'show me your kitchen' meme sometime, too... but for now, I couldn't help trying the 23rd and 5th one, and found:

"And so I'm on to the next adventure"!

of ALL the lines (and there are a LOT) that I've written (some that probably shouldn't be repeated!, it's pretty amazing *that* is the magical 23rd/5th. Thanks for the reminder of "why I'm here"!

cheers, Viaggiatore (www.tuttivabene.blogspot.com)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home