.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Friday, September 16, 2005

LASIK Part 2

I went in for another eye consultation today and although I thought I was doing to get a LASIK procedure, I am actually going to receive PRK. There are basically only two good eye clinics in Torino and both do PRK. Find out the differences here.

Basically both procedures use the same laser, the main difference is the technique used to allow the laser to access the cornea. In LASIK, a tiny flap is cut in the eye and the laser then does it job resurfacing your cornea. In PRK, a solution is put on the eye and the surface layer of the cornea is “rubbed” off to access the inner cornea. The same laser then goes about its business. Obviously there is more aftercare with PRK and less risk since no surgery is needed.

Demetrio had LASIK in Washington and he was fine right after the procedure, the only glitch he had was a small blood spot in his eye for a week. A co-worker of Demetrio‘s, from Idaho, got LASIK in Vancouver B.C. and said he had pain after the procedure. Deme’s sisters had PRK, it is cheaper than LASIK, in Rome and one was in pain for 2 days while the other went to the seaside the same day. I took all this feedback into consideration and decided to go ahead with the procedure. We booked an appointment for November 10 for one or both eyes, I still have to decide. I am excited not to have to wear contacts ever again. There are three criteria I have to fulfill before going ahead with the PRK.

The doctor asked me the adhere to the following:

1. Do not go into a swimming pool 1 month before the procedure, something about germy water and it getting into your eyes.
2. No tanning 3 months before, this was easy; I have not been to a tanning salon in a year.
3. Stop hormonal contraception 3 months before the procedure.

Here a photo of my soon to be fixed eye(s).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Notice the yellow "stains" on my eyeball, the result of wearing contact lenses for years and for many hours a day. The doctor told me that the contacts lenses basically were suffocating my eye and I should wear them for fewer hours in the day. Now I put my glasses on in the morning and go about my morning at home, when I have to leave to go out I put my lenses in. Also at night I have been trying to wear my glasses a few hours before I go to bed so my eyes have a chance to breathe.

5 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Blogger Gia said...

Except for the way you do your make up. I would totally mistake that for MY eye!

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the procedure.

Paz

 
At 5:53 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Gia, do you have the freckles all over too?

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Gia said...

Freckles are a check. Since I started paddling it's as if someone took a toothbrush full of freckle paint and splattered it all over my face.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how long did the staining take to go away?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home