.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Care Package No. 2

My very first care package was from my sister Sara, she came to the rescue when I had a chocolate chip cookie craving. Last month, Alan made green tea ice cream and wrote about it. I saw the post and started drooling. In Seattle, I used to get good green tea mochi ice cream balls. There is no way I can find matcha here in Italy. Matcha is the powdered green tea that is used in Japanese Tea ceremonies.

I think Alan and his family felt sorry for me and could feel my homesickness all the way across both the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. Without provocation, they sent me a care package and I received it today.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I received Hawaiian sea salt, matcha, loose leaf green tea, and li hing powder along with a nice note. Alan hoped that I would make something with the matcha and I suggested green tea panna cotta. I better start perfecting my recipe!

9 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am envious of you right now! But not for long since my mom is sending me a care package this week with some of the items you got. I asked her to send me some Hawaiian salt which she is but she is also sending me some other goodies that I asked for. It's funny how much you miss certain things when you can't get them. Can't wait to hear what you make with the green tea!

 
At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, it made it halfway around the world without damage! We hope you enjoy it all.
I'm looking forward to the panna cotta recipe, when you have the opportunity.

-alan

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Yup Alan,
I have to have a chat with the hubby, my first time eating green tea panna cotta was in his kitchen.

 
At 12:30 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

Gia, there has recently been a strange exchange in my Coop. With no notice there appeared on the shelves Chinese loose green tea and at the same time the deli stopped selling pancetta affumicata that they could slice. Coincidence? Boh!

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a nice sister to send you all this stuff!

Paz

 
At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gia, I know how you feel, when I first moved to Colorado from Hawaii, I had all kinds of cravings for local food.....care packages are so great! I have that exact same Hawaiian Salt in my pantry :)

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger R.G.Erhart said...

Good luck, Italy is one of my favorite placed in Europe to travel.

If you like walking the dog, them you may get a kick out of this...
http://feedthedog.blogspot.com/
http://dogtreat.boberhart.com
http://www.boberhart.com

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Lyka said...

Hi Gia,
Thanks for sharing this post. I just want to share my experiences when I was in Japan I ate Mochi, and it was really good taste. Especially mochi ice cream..Yummy..I love it so much..

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous www.malaga-3d.com said...

Really helpful data, lots of thanks for the post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home