.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Victims of US Customs

Our container arrived in Portland from Italy on May 24, 2007. We were told at that time that we were lucky enough to be chosen by US Customs to have our container hand inspected. Feels like we've won the lottery. NOT!

Our small air cargo shipment was also hand inspected. When we received the boxes of mainly Veronica's things, we found the boxes had been opened and not sealed back shut but worst of all, Veronica linens and clothes were just thrown back and stuffed into the boxes. Luckily nothing was soiled or wet.

Three weeks later, we finally got word that the inspection is over. Our container has now been emptied and the contents are in storage. Our movers let us know quite a few boxes have been opened. I have no idea the extent of the damage/carnage but I hope our things (esp. our dishes and stemware) have not been damaged.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 7:27 PM, Blogger Lilibet said...

nasty customs men. wait, are you moving away from Italia or something? I gotta read more...

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Gina, I moved home from Egypt on June 14th. Got word today from the shipping company that since I was lucky enough to have my shipment searched twice (xray and intensive), I owed $623 before it will be released. Credit cards will not be accepted...it must be by wire transfer or cashier check. What is this???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home