.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech

Yesterday afternoon as I headed home with Veronica from an leisurely afternoon with my sister, I happen to tune into NPR and hear about the shootings at Virginia Tech. I just could not believe it. My whole being just shook with rage and sadness at the events that took place.

This morning I am watching news coverage of the event. It does not matter to me who the shooter was, what religious denomination he was from or even his motives, I just keep thinking about 32 lives cut short and many more changed forever.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

America seriously needs GUN CONTROL, or else these sorts of events will never stop happening. Virginia Tech is only about 4hrs west of where I live, and the shooter was actually from the D.C. suburbs, so this especially hits home for me. Of course, a few years back there was the D.C. sniper incidents, but I was back in Chicago at that time. Anyway, I just wanted to say Welcome Back to the states. The pictures of all the boxes in your previous posts bring back memories for me, because this time last year I was in that same mode, but only relocating cross-country as opposed to across countries.

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what it's all about. 32 victims. I don't believe that gun control would have helped in this situation (or any others) though. If someone wants to kill people, he (or she) will.

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

j.doe: sure, if I wanted to kill a person I could do it with a knife or with my hands. The point is that guns make the killing far faster. In a wild spree and with a knife I could kill one person every 10 minutes, with a revolver I could kill 6 people in a minute or so, but then I would need to stop and reload, which takes a little, with a semiautomatic gun I could kill 13 people in a minute, and reloading a new magazine would take me only a few seconds, with an automatic rifle I could kill hundreds of people in a very short time with no need to reload. if armed only of a knife, or my bare hands, anyone could try to step up and block me, with a gun I could shot down those who tried.
The point is not that one can kill with or without guns, the point is how difficult and slow it is to do it: the slower and most difficult, the less victims.

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my students mentioned something that two of the vicitims were Italians. My repsonse, sorry to hear that, but a total of 32 people lost their lives, nationality was not a consideration in this event, nor in general when talking about death.
I do agree that in the States the Constitutional right to bear arms really does need to be changed. Times have dramatically changed since that right was written. Now practically ANYONE can have a firearm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home