.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Show Me the Money!

It’s a lazy Sunday morning and I am watching the travel channel. They are featuring Bologna and my mouth is watering at the images of fresh mortadella, tortellini and all things Italian. Déjà vu really hit hard as images of Italy flashed before me. I still think Italy is a great travel destination, the food, the coffee, the sights are all amazing and I do miss many things Italian.

Now let’s fast forward to now: Yesterday we were at the park with Veronica when we spotted a cute little girl named Stella paying near the waters edge. I said to Veronica “Guarda, che un’altra bimba come te.” Stella’s mother came over to chat with me. She asked me if I was speaking Italian and when I said “yes” she told me Stella was Italian too. It turns out that her husband is from Verona and she is from Seattle. They are visiting for a week and head back tomorrow. We began talking about life in Italy vs. life in Seattle. There were many similarities in our experiences. She’s afraid to have another baby in Italy because she is worried about the being told she is can’t gain much weight. She is also a stay at home mom giving English lessons on the side but has no real job prospects. As we compared notes, I began to realize more and more how lucky I am to be back. She hopes her husband finds a job back in the states so they will not struggle economically. Surprisingly Demetrio was the first to sing praises about being back in the U.S. and how hard life was in Italy. The other man actually said to us, “I think you (Demetrio) are the only other person who speaks worse of Italy than I do.” My dear husband seems to talking the talk, but in no way walking the walk. He has to convince himself, not others.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger Tiffany Altieri said...

They really need to meet my husband. Then they can have a party or start a club or something. But what a coincidence that you should meet that woman!

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Tiffany Altieri said...

Oh by the way, how do you two plan to keep Veronica's Italian up? Perhaps ml@home since I see you were speaking Italian in this post?

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Deme speaks italian to her. i hope she keeps it up too. what is ml@home? Can you send me a link?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Maluhia said...

Welcome back to Seattle Gia. I asked my sister Jignette, you might know her as Pia, if she has seen you yet and I think she said no. Nice to know you are enjoying being back in the States.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Tiffany Altieri said...

ml@home jsut means minority language at home. For bilingual families, there is a majority language (ML) and a minority language (ml).

In Italy, your ML was Italian, ml English. Now in Seattle that is reversed.

I hope she keeps it up too. I feel that the gift of language is just that - a gift. Here is some literature if you want to explore having a bilingual home:

http://www.multilingualchildren.org/getting_started/language_system.html

The page will outline OPOL (one parent one language) and some other variations as well. Since I am interested in this issue, I am part of an email discussion group on this issue and others related to them. If you want to talk more about this, feel free to email at tiffany.altieri _at_ gmail.com

I bet your spam filter will have a field day with this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home