.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, March 26, 2007

The Process of Moving 2

This weekend was full organizing and stress, all compounded by the fact that our daughter is a continent away. Demetrio is on his way to Rome to pick up a few remaining items that he has at his mom’s house. I am staying in Torino working on getting rid of as many things as I can in the apartment (some people got away with some really great stuff) and waiting around for landlord to decide if he would like to come see our kitchen and possibly buy from us. Our original landlord passed away about seven months ago and our apartment has now passed on to one of his nephews. This new landlord has been very lukewarm about stopping by, but I think Demetrio put some pressure on him. He has agreed to drop by tomorrow at 3:15 p.m. I happen to really like our kitchen. The idea of tearing it down and shipping it in a container in pieces back to Seattle is really something I do not want to see happen. I am hoping the landlord will realize its value and keep it for his next tenants.

We have only this week to cancel the telephone, Internet, gas account, bank account, return to our company car, see friends and take care of all other loose ends. I sent out a stock e-mail (something I never do) to friends and family informing them of our new mailing address and phone number. Everything seems to be moving so fast. After a long and bureaucratic existence in Italy for the past two years, Microsoft Redmond really has its act together.

Our cupboards are now empty, our refrigerator bare. The past two nights we have been eating dinner at the Chinese place on the corner from our apartment. Our friends have been stopping by to say farewell. Most of them are happy for me and a bit jealous themselves. In unison, they agree that I belong in the states. I had a wonderful time in Seattle and I was sad when the two weeks ended, so I must say I’m looking forward to moving. I’m looking forward to our new health/company benefits, a complementary membership to a gym for Demetrio and reduced cost/membership for me (they have a childcare facility for members); I’m thrilled that I will be closer to my sister. She has been taking Veronica on daily walks since I’ve been gone. We will be able to live in our condominium again (with its Jacuzzi tub and two-car garage). I think most of all I will look forward to being close to good friends and to feeling as if I am an equal partner in society.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your hubby would not let go his Euro citizenship, you never know when it comes handy.

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your move! I am sad to see you go. I just discovered your blog and now you are already moving back to the States.

Good luck with everything! And enjoy! I am a little bit envious too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home