.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Process of Moving 1

Moving really is one of life's most stressful situations. Demetrio is due to start his new job on April 1. That gives us exactly 1 week to have the apartment packed up, cleaned and vacated.

We arrived back in Torino yesterday, I have bragged for years that have never once got jet lag but last night I couldn't go to sleep until about 5 a.m. I think part of me really missed Veronica and going to bed without her in the house was just about unthinkable.

(My two weeks in Seattle were wonderful. I got to reconnect with my sisters Sara, Anna and Kentra as well as many friends. I think this is the right move for us. I know Demetrio feels a bit defeated that he did not make our life in Italy work but even he agrees that moving back to the states will give Veronica many more opportunities and it will make our lives a lot easier. Of course his mother is very upset by the whole move but she understands that he must go with the job is.)

I woke up around noon and was overwhelmed with all the organizing there was to do. Microsoft is allowing us an air cargo shipment of 300 pounds or is it 300 kg? (which arrives at its final destination in about two weeks) as well as a 40 foot container which arrives in Seattle in six to eight weeks. Our task today was to separate out everything that went in the air shipment and everything that was going to go in the container. I was disappointed that the moving company will not allow us to bring any food items. I spent today distributing all of the dry goods in the kitchen amongst good friends.

We were successful in selling (at dirt cheap prices) our dishwasher, stove, oven, big screen TV, DVD player, audio receiver, Braun multi-mixer and other miscellaneous appliances. We ended up giving away smaller electrical items and all our liquor and some of our wine too. Part of me feels like we're losing a lot of our personal belongings and the other part of me feels like we're lightening the load. We have two more days to tidy up the apartment before the movers come. As each hour passes the apartment becomes emptier and emptier.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are very sad that you guys are leaving .. we had finally found likeminded people in turin .. and first Sharon leaves and now you guys ...

Thanks so much for all the stuff today!!! Ritsu was very happy .. and I actually already made one of the knorr 'real chinese soups' in the bag ... and it was pretty nice ... So much stuff .. i know the stress of moving .. and getting a 300kg airfraight allowance is actually VERY cool .. we never had that (and will probbaly never et it) ... which means most of the really important stuff will be with you shortly.

I hope we get together for lunch or dinner before you guys leave. Thanks again !!!! (Is any liquor left ??? ) :)

On a very different not .. you were wondering about discontinuing this blog and focus on the sprog blog ... but what about your great recipes and food ideas ??? maybe a new blog ? or renaming this one ???

 
At 6:05 PM, Blogger Choco Pie said...

It is going to be so much work and stress. I hope it goes smoothly for you. Moving is hard work but exciting too. I hope your new life holds all kinds of wonderful things in store for you.

The food rule is absolutely effin ridiculous. Everyone I know finds a place in the shipment to stash a few food essentials. There are always a few things you gotta have. Good luck with everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home