.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Driving School-The Practical

After a short four days in Rome, I came back in Torino to immediately begin my driving lessons. The driving school that I am attending has arranged for me to take driving lessons this Thursday and Friday before my test on Saturday morning. I was very nervous before the practice lesson began. I feel very secure about my ability to drive but very Insecure about possibly being watched and judged by the examiner.

Boasting is not something I do often but I must say I feel (in my honest humble opinion) that I drive well. In fact, I pay more attention, follow the speed limit, avoid using my cell phone while driving, and generally obey the rules of the road more than most Italians do. Today while we were on our way to see Veronica’s pediatrician, Demetrio had to kick the car to get it to stop at a pedestrian crossing. Even with the baby in tow, some Italians just do not like to stop for pedestrians.

My driving lesson began like this: the instructor drove to a quiet part of town and showed me how I should be driving. I took note and then within a few minutes got in the drivers seat. The cars used by driving schools have two sets of foot pedals, one on the driver side and another set on the passenger side. These are the only type of cars that the public is allowed to use during the driving exam. I find them somewhat strange but I guess the second set of pedals is useful in case of an emergency.

I was quite nervous because after having driven for over 15 years of accumulated many bad driving habits. For example: I have a habit of putting my right arm behind the headrest of the passenger seat while I am backing up and looking backward. I also tend to turn the wheel by grasping the wheel on the underside. Both of these things are not allowed. I drove for an hour and a half today but still do not feel that I have put these bad habits away for good. I have another lesson tomorrow morning and I will let you know how I progress.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you bothering to get an Italian driver's license when you are moving back to the US?

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Everyone is asking me this and the reason is that the Italian lic. is good for 10 years and I know I will be back. So it will be nice for me to be able to drive when I am here on vacation. Also I will be able to drive anywhere is Europe which is also a nice thing.

I started studying a while back and figured why not just do it.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Driver's is a formal class or plan that prepares a new driver to get a learner's allow or driver's license.Thanks! Look for additional posts on this topic soon. Thanks admin.
Driving Schools

 

Post a Comment

<< Home