.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Driving School-Part 1

Now that I have tried and failed once at the oral theory exam in Italian, I have decided to better my chances the next time around (while dishing out €300) by taking lessons at a driving school.

When I got my practice-driving certificate, I had up to six months and three chances to pass both the theory and practical driving exams. (After having lived in Torino for a year my American driving license was no longer valid for driving in Italy.) I applied for my practice certificate while I was pregnant. With a long summer vacation lasting the months of June July and August and Veronica coming early in October, I have neglected my studies until now.

The DMV in Torino is also very frustrating. At first, I was first told that it would be possible for me to take the oral exam in English, so I began to study all the rules and regulations in English. When I went to finally book my appointment for the oral exam, I was to hold English was no longer being offered and I had to take it in Italian. I believe what annoyed me most was the impractical way in which the DMV in Torino set appointments for the oral exam. They would call me on my cell phone and asked me If I could take the exam in four days time and I would tell them “no, I can’t I’m not ready“. Then they would call me a month later and asked me if I could take the exam in today’s time and I would again say “no, I couldn’t I’m not ready“. (With Veronica around it was harder than ever). I just wanted to set a date that I could shoot for and count on but they did not have a booking system and asked to call me on my cell phone with two to five days warning before they set up an appointment. Now I only have a month left before my practice-driving certificate expires, I have to bite the bullet and get cracking.

The driving school recommended to me by Sharon is wonderful; she managed to pass the oral exam on the first try in the driving practical exam on the first try also. All I can say is I am now studying my butt off and going to the driving school two to three times a week for one to two hours at a time. (The book in which you study to take the test is over 300 pages long.) Part 2 to follow. . .

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 4:32 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Don't worry. You'll pass. Once your wrap your brain around the distorted way they ask the questions, all of a sudden it starts to make sense. Hang in there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home