.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Hacked!!!

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that my email was hacked into. (I know this because for the first time in 10 years my password did not work. Also when I regained access to my email I found that various messages in my Inbox had been read, mainly ones attached to Ebay, Amazon, and Discover Card. They also contacted some of these site to get information.)

Everything has now been restored and if you received any strange messages from me dated January 23 to January 29, please disregard them. My advice to you is to make your passwords difficult to figure out. Mine was pretty hard (no birthdays, past places I have lived, names of family members or pets and they still got in.) Hope it never happens to you.

Because of the hacking I have removed my email address from my profile, for a while anyway. I have very much enjoyed all the emails I have received due to the blog, from people who are now friends. I am sorry to have to do this but I am a little freaked out. Still comments will be very welcome.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

9 Comments:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

So sorry to hear about this! How in the world did they figure out your password? Gee, I hope mine is hard enough.

Would LOVE to meet you in Venice, maybe Thursday? Will call your cell phone a little later on.

Cyn

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

ps. You can sign up for a free yahoo email account to use on your blog Gina. Don't use that address for any of your personal stuff. I have one personal email address and one I use just for my blog. That way, if someone hacks it from your blog, all they will get are your blog reader emails.

Cyn

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

Check out also gmail. Since both Blogger and Gmailbelong to the same company this may also offer some advantages over the yahoo mails. Gmail can be read through a mailer or from the web and it has huge storage space (and decent spam filters).

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awful I would be freaked out too. I agree with the preceding commenter. Try gmail.

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger A Novelist said...

That's horrible. I hope it never happens to you again. I would be so upset if I had to go through that. Take care.

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's beyond me how someone got your password.

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Shelley - At Home in Rome said...

This is awful, but I appreciate your sharing. I like Cyn's comment about not using your personal email for your blog, I use my business email but now I think it's a good idea to have a separate one.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Miss H. said...

OMG!!! That is horrible. I grew leery of including any personal information about me on the internet b/c of stalkers. Strange, but true. I started out being open with my blog and using real names and contact info in 2003 and now, I just keep personal info out of it b/c I was stalked by a wacko ex-bf.

I am so sorry that the e-mail hacking happened to you. I hope that nothing else happens due to this incident.

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gia,

Don't use public email like hotmail, yahoo mail or anything like that for finacial transactions. Use your private internet provider email for those.

Hoang

 

Post a Comment

<< Home