.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Cutting the Apron Strings

My husband left Italy for the first time when he was 21. He came and went once more when he was 28 and now he is leaving for the third time. His mother is of course very sad at the thought of us moving back to the states especially with Veronica. The reality is she has two daughters living in Italy and with us in the United States she will have many chances to come and visit. Her plate at this moment is quite full and she takes care of her two grandchildren full time and one another grandchild part-time. She also is managing her household as well as another rental property. Her dream of having all her children living close by is shattered for the moment. (We never said that we did not want to come back someday.)

In preparation for a move, Demetrio has started going through and deciding which things to want to take with him to the states from his mom’s house. (Yes, he still has things stored at his mom’s house.)

A Short List:

Old tax returns/diplomas/Boy Scout diary
Old photos
Bags of old love letters and correspondences
A T-shirt given to him by his first girlfriend when he was 14
Many old clothing/shoes/belts
Over 300 vinyl records
Boxes upon boxes of books
Things for the kitchen
Old VHS tapes ( including Wham Live in China, Katrina and the Waves, Now 6, the making of We are the World, and many many more.)
Old cassette tapes (things copied from the radio, tapes made by old friends, Belinda Carlisle, and many many more.)

One of the things I like about Italy is that it is not as disposable a society as the one we have United States. People save things for ages, men and women ride around in 25-year-old bikes with flat tires and rusty spokes. There are many old cars on the road, and if you leave something outside the dumpster, someone else is bound to come and pick it up. Things are recycled repeatedly and I think it is a good thing but leaving boxes of junk at your mom’s house is not a good thing. Her basement is full of her children’s stuff; she has even rented an attic space to store all the things for children leave behind. Now that we have begun to really scale down in preparation for a move, I wonder if she feels like she/he the apron strings are being cut forever because the next time she opens up a closet, there will not be anything of Demetrio’s left in her house.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I left my parents' house my mom actually made me to leave my room 'broom clean' ... and since then I have been dragging tons of stuff around the world with me ... I still have a storage unit in NJ which keeps sucking money from my savings account .. and I have know idea when I will ever get to see that stuff again... my whole PJ collection is there (yep .. 180 pajamas .. ) ... wow .. 300 vinyl records .. and VHS tapes .. and cassetes .. antiques ... so cool :)

when are you guys leaving? We are going to miss you

 
At 11:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sensitive post!
As much as I hate that you are leaving just when you are starting to really be Italian, yours will be the first of the expat blogs to have a re-entry chapter. Please tell us how it is going back, ok?

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Sofia said...

Dear Gia..

I`ve also follow your blog for a while and I must admit that it feels like "I know you a bit" (as it often feels when you start reading a blog).
I envious you who got the chance to live in foreign contry for a time of your life...

Best wishes from Sofia

Ps:I guess I feel a bit close to you as I`ve got an asian look (adopted from south Korea and came to sweden as I baby.One of my small boys got very swedish look and the other got more of my asian look.

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger Sofia said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Delina said...

It is sad that you're leaving, but I realise, and I think your husband's mum will too, that there are better opportunities for you elsewhere.

"Wham live in China" Cooooool!!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger avery said...

Wait! What? You're leaving Italy? I thought you were moving to Rome in my neck of the woods? I'm sorry to see you go but I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you continue the blog.
And oh how I love to pour over memorabilia. Whenever I visit my mother's home I take hours to look over my old things, my grandmother's pictures and diaries from her time in Paris in the 20s, and my mom and dad's souvenirs photos nicknaks from the 60s and 70s. It's all so interesting and nostalgic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home