.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Fathers Day-Ode to Dad

Needless to say, my dad is one of the most influential people in my life. I think I have written about my family extensively on this blog, as I miss them and think about them all the time. Today I am thinking about my dad. I used to think of him as harsh, yet just at the same time. The generation gap that separated us never seemed to get any narrower but as I have matured and grown I have come to appreciate him more and more.

Dear Dad,

Your rules and your voice are the things that drive me and made me who I am today in spite of all my faults and all my past bad decisions.. I hope that I will have the strength to teach my child what I have learned from both you and mom.

Love,
Gina


Dad's Tidbits aka Dad's Ten Commandments

1. Scene: I am 7-8 and get straight A's for the first time.

Me: "Dad, my friend got 5 A's on her last report card and she got 5 dollars for each A. Do you think I could get the same thing? I got all A's this time."

Dad: "I think your friends' dad is doing a stupid thing. He is encouraging his child to get good grades for money. I want you to get good grades because getting good grades is good for you, much better than money."

2.
Scene: I was 16 and got my first new car.

Dad: "Before you take your car out, show me the spare tire and the jack. Read the spare tire."

Me: "Infate only to 90 psi."

Dad: "No, that is not what I want you to see, look and read again."

Me: " I don't see what you want me to read."

Dad: sighs and says "See this, (points) For TEMPORARY use ONLY." "That means if you get a flat tire, change it immediately to the spare and go to get the tire fixed right away."

Me: "Yes, dad."

3. Dad: "Work first, play later."

4. Dad: "I don't know", is not a good enough answer."

5.
Dad: "Honesty is important even if it is not to your benefit."

6. Dad: "Borrowing money is not what I taught you."

7.
Dad: "If it's your responsibility, do it."

8.
Dad: "Try to lead a balanced life."

9. Dad: "This is not a hotel, come home after curfew and you will find the door locked." "Don't like the food, eat somewhere else, don't like the rules, live somewhere else."

10.
Dad: "Respect your elders and be loyal to your family."

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Blogger DZER said...

what a great post ... so many of the same things, or similar things, that my dad passed on to me over the years.

as for grades, I remember once that I brought home a report card with straight A's ... or so I thought. Pop pointed to an A-minus I had, and said because of that, I didn't get straight-A's. why not, I asked? He responded: There's a minus sign, which means to subtract. If you take an A and minus something from it, it's no longer an A ... LOL

 
At 11:14 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

What a great way to remember your father on father's day. I know I am a little late on this post... but you understand why.

Did you get to talk to your Dad?

Cyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home