.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Agretti

Agretti an Italian green, are sometimes confused with sea asparagus or sea beans.

Sea beans are available in the U.S. at places like QFC and Whole Foods and have limited uses in my book. I do however love the crisp, salty bite that sea beans have. They are great raw in seaweed salads, great as garnishes to sushi dishes, they are fantastic pickled but I must admit I have zero experience with cooking them.

Agretti look like bunches of fresh green chives, tubular in shape, they don't have a fragrance to them but when cooked are a nice accompaniment to just about anything. They are mild when cooked and when eaten raw, taste like a simple blade of grass. Demetrio says they are mainly served boiled, and they take a long time to boil (about 5-10 minutes), and dressed with lemon and olive oil. I've seen other recipes on the internet which use agretti, they are such a mild green that they would go with just about anything without adding extraneous flavors or taking away from the main ingredient. Try some today.

Click here, and here for more info.





All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.






Click here, and here for more info.

2 Comments:

At 11:59 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

You beat me to it| Your pic is better anyway, because mine weren't so clean and great looking. I ate them tonight tossed with some tortellone and butter. Yummm. I think they'd be better with milder pasta, though.

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger daddy in a strange land said...

Oh, I miss agretti! When we lived in LA we would buy it every spring from a farmer of alliums and speciality heirloom greens from Riverside. Never been able to find it in SoCal since, let alone where we are now (Bakersfield).

We would sautee it, leaves whole, with lots of garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil and toss with capellini, and finish with fresh lemon juice and probably some grated cheese (parmigiano, pecorino). Yum!

BTW, surfed in and been looking around since noticing your comments on Rice Daddies. All your food stuff makes me so want to visit Italy! (Okay, the pho post makes me want to make pho, but you know what I mean.) You're making me hungry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home