.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Deme Runs the Roma Marathon

It was a gorgeous day today, sunny, warm not hot and with a light breeze. The Rome Marathon kicked off at about 9:15 a.m. I must say that watching from home, via Rai 3, the course was absolutely breath taking with views of Circus Maximus, Piazza Venezia, Piazza del Popolo, Piazza Navona, Fontana di Trevi and all the lovely sights that make Rome so special. The winner of the race was a Kenyan who finished in a time of 2 hours, 8 minutes and some odd seconds. Wow!

The start and finish were both at the Coliseum. Irene, Deme's sister and I got there right at the 4.5 hour mark to pick both guys up but they did not emerge until the 5 hour mark. The cold Torino winter did not do Deme any good as he did not train as vigilantly as he would have liked. Still the finished with Stefano by his side the entire way. Way to go guys! You made it! How great it must have felt to complete a marathon in the city you love best in the entire world alongside your most cherished friend. I get choked up just thinking about it.




All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Way to go! I'll be with you Gina either spectate or just trying running for 45 mins or so.. I'm still amazed at how far those guys run. But then again, I'd swim so many miles in a single day and that was cake to me..

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Congrats! I still have yet to do my first marathon. I am training for that next year. I've run two halves and that was hard enough!! So, congrats to your hubby!!

 
At 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Deme and Stefano! Congratulations, Cheering section -- Gia and Sister! What an exciting accomplishment.

Best,
Paz

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Congrats to Deme! I got tired just watching the race on tv! hehehehe! I was looking for Demetrio, but I don't think I would have recognized him with a beard!
Cyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home