.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The Changing of the Guard

What is a trip to London without a visit to Buckingham Palace to see the "Changing of the Guard"? We did not plan to but luckily we made it to the ceremony just in time. All I knew about the guards I learned from movies, never having been to London before. I wondered if they really stood on guard for 8+ hours without moving and if they are really expressionless in the face of any distractions. I was about to find out.


There were quite a few people waiting to see the spectacle. The line of spectators stretched from near the soldiers barracks to the front of the palace. A distance of about 200 yards.

The ceremony began with a bit of marching, music (from the Guards' Band), and someone yelling a bunch of orders as the soldiers lifted their rifles and shuffled around in various formations, all the while keeping very straight faces.

Here is a lone soldier, waiting to be relieved of this post.

In marched the relief and his commanding officer (I am assuming this.)

The officer does a quick inspection of the outside of his post.

Gives a chat or thorough going over of the relief guard.

There is another inspection of the inside of the post box.

Here the left soldier, the one that was on duty, leaves his place and marches off.


The new guard is now in place.

Off goes the officer.


The end of the ceremony.


Want to plan your own trip to see the "Changing of the Guards?" Click here for more information and a schedule. I must say I was impressed with the guards' uniforms and the regal-ness of the whole thing.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

2 Comments:

At 3:11 AM, Blogger Chen said...

Too bad I didn't manage to see the "Changing of the Guards?" during my last visit to Buckingham Palace. But.. at least I get to see that from your blog. Thanks for the great picts :)

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

That's almost like watching a video!
Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home