.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

London Highlights-A Photo Tour


You knew my first few photos would be of food. Here I am with a Starbuck's coffee in hand, standing in the unmistakable red London, phone box.


My mouth watered as I stared glassy eyed and drooling at the crisp ducks and pork hanging in the windows of Chinatown. While in London, I got a taste of many of the foods I've been missing. Phad Thai, Crab sauteed with ginger and spring onions, Mandarin duck pancakes, thick rice noodles with beef, shall I go on?

An absolute cheese lovers haven; This is Neals Yard Dairy. I pranced right in and asked for a bit of while Cheddar and yellow cheddar and was just about laughed out of the place. Instead of embarrassing me, I had already accomplished this all on my own, the lady behind the counter let me taste cheese after cheese until we walked out of there with 6 different kinds of cheddar, Stilton and goat cheese. Yummy!

The Museum of Technology and Science was a grand place with interactive exhibits for children and adults alike. We want to being our niece and nephew here on our next trip.

Absolutely breathtaking and FREE! The dinosaur exhibit should not be missed. Other highlights include a wonderful variety of crystals, a 1500 sequoia tree, Darwin's galleries and much, much more.

Here Demetrio munches on his first chickens foot, deep fried then braised, they are delicious. Etta, a friend of ours, took us to this great dim sum place where the scallop and cilantro dumplings hit the spot. I ordered all of Demetrio's favorites, sticky rice in lotus leaves, ha gao, sui mai, char sui, roasted duck, gai lan, we were in heaven.

"Mind the Gap"="Watch your Step" as you step on and off the trains in London. On average we spent 7-8 Euros a day with an all-day train and bus pass. Even with the Underground, we only managed to see a small part of London.

A trip to London would not be complete without a tour of Harrods. This is the biggest shopping center I've ever been in. Some things you can find in Harrods:
1. golf carts
2. saddles
3. great meats and fresh seafood
4. wonderful teas and coffee
5. jewel encrusted cell phone for about 35,000 Euros
6. a refrigerator decorated like the British flag
7. an in-house demonstration with live owls
and so much more.

The Big Ben

Westminster Abby


*Another post to follow entitled: Things I Noticed about London

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

9 Comments:

At 3:08 AM, Blogger Chen said...

seeing the photos reminds me of my previous trip to London.. but I didn't cover many places cos of time factor.

I saw the take away crisp ducks available until 4 am. The restaurant open till so late, or should it be so early in the morning? :)

 
At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic photographes!

I wanna go to London now, actually no I don't. It's too cold this time of year!! :-)

 
At 5:12 AM, Blogger Stef said...

Great photos of London and the food! I am so envious of you being able to eat all that food in Chinatown. = )

 
At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a wonderful trip! The pictures were great in both posts. Can't wait to hear more!

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

Did you have a great time? I love London! Did you have a gerat birthday? Did you take a cab? :OD

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I love the cheese photo! All your pictures are just great.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger midnightbunny said...

I adore the picture of you in the phone booth. I wish the U.S. had booths like that. They just have such an old fashioned charm to them.

:)

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Yes I took the cabs and the bus and walked a lot. I adored London and if it were not so darnee expensive we would move there in a heart beat as I don't have a problem with the language. Now nice to know it's only 2 hours away by plane. We came back with some games for the kids, great Chinese white and green teas, tea from Harrods, galangal (which I put in the freezer), real cheddar cheese and quite a few fun memories. I highly recommend taking a trip there yourself.

 
At 5:20 AM, Blogger eringo said...

hello!

The photograph which you took is very great!
I wanted to go to London, too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home