.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Red Beans and Coconut Milk

Adzuki Beans are red beans that are used in all kinds of Oriental recipes. I remember eating them in mochi cakes, in buns, in soups, in moon cakes and in all other types of sweet desserts. I like them this way best.




Red Beans in Coconut Milk

1 C. dried Adzuki beans
1 C. Coconut milk
1-3 T. Sugar
toasted black and/or white sesame seeds
toasted sweetened coconut flakes
chopped candied ginger (optional)
sprinkle of salt

1. Cook the dried beans in water until almost al dente. They should be somewhat soft to the bite yet not falling apart.

2. Drain the beans and add 1 T. of sugar at a time, adjusting to your taste, add the salt, then 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. Let simmer together for about 10 minutes until most of the coconut milk has evaporated. Taste again for sugar.

3. Warm the rest of the coconut milk slightly. Spoon the beans into bowls, dress with toasted coconut, sesame seeds, sprinkle of salt, candied ginger and drizzle with a bit more of the warmed coconut milk. This makes a great dessert! I loved it as a child and still do.

*Note: Mung beans can also be substituted for the Adzuki beans.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 11:47 AM, Blogger Linda said...

That looks yummy. I've never seen Adzuki beans used that way.

I usually buy the paste that comes in a can and make steamed buns (using canned biscuit mix). It is a family favorite

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"YUUUUMMMM!!!!" she says as she disregards the fat content.

I like this one a lot. Thanks

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

That looks so yummy. Got any words of wisdom to tell kids to eat it? Just use the coconut ploy or what? I'd love to make it but the kids are so not fans of beans... Oh well, I guess I can make it on the weekend when I am alone to eat as I wish.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Sara said...

I've been getting mochi cakes with red beans filling every time we hit the Asian market. I love the things. Haven't had red beans this way, but I remember Mom's mung bean dessert. Yum.

 
At 1:50 AM, Blogger Corrie said...

Gia:

Looks great. It reminds me of desserts like this that we used to have in the house when I was a kid. I definitely want to try and make it.

Oh--where on earth do you find mung beans in Italy? I'd love that--reminds me of my grandma's cooking and her constant reminders that mung beans are REALLY good for you!

-Jackie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home