.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

The "Birthday-Claus" Arrived at my House

My birthday is next week and look at all the goodies I received.


My sisters Kentra and Sara pooled resources to get me two Asian goodie boxes filled with cookies, rice crackers, curry mix, drinks, candy, gum, dried squid, and more. So much for my diet.


I was so glad to see this. I need it to make my Chinese Roast Pork. I don't follow the recipe on the back but the package is pretty good on its own.


I can find nori in Torino but not hot seasoned nori, yummy! This is how I get my iodine fix.


Thank you to the Haskin Family: John, Megumi, Milou and Milay (the monkey). They filled a box with Seattle goodies. A slug lollipop, Japanese noodles, an Asian T-shirt, snacks, marinade, a little Zen kit and special Seattle salmon dog and cat treats. I love them all! You guys will be getting a box from me the next time Deme goes to Seattle.


In case I missed the rain from Seattle, they even got me a little reminder.


Demetrio had to buy another duffel bag to bring all this stuff home.
I needed self-laminating sheets (for my lessons) and rolodex refill cards from Office Depot, stuff from the drug store, shoes, and of course stuff from Amazon.com.
Items of interest:
1. TUMS with calcium and fruit flavored-I love the taste and they are 1/4 the price of the ones in Italy which taste like chalk.
2. Glide Floss: this is the greatest floss ever
3. Rain-Ex-it does not exist in Italy
4. Armor All-also does not exist in Italy


Why did I need this brand of hair dye? Because it's gentle and made with herbs of course.
Why did I need this brand of deodorant? Because it works better than any brand I have tried and in Italy they do not have a brand that works for me and comes in unscented.
Why do I need motion sickness pills? Because when we drive thorough hills and up into small towns, I get car sick.
And the fake lashes? Because mine are wimpy and fake lashes are fun.


I have been looking for Silpat in Italy for a year and have not found it. The silicon spatula can take the heat, up to 800 F.


I love the shoes in Italy but I bought three pairs on sale off Zappos for the price of one here in Italy (on sale) and boy are they cute.
I also have to mention my friend Laurie G. Thanks so much for the book, A Thousand Days in Tuscany, the follow-up to A Thousand Days in Venice. I wanted this and love the card you sent with it. I hope to see you this summer!


All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

11 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Choco Pie said...

Happy Birthday. Looks like your family is taking good care of you. Had to laugh, because I import the exact same kind of deodorant, unscented, to Korea. It's the only kind that works for me, too.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved A Thousand Days in Tuscany.

HA! and the birthday-claus title is charming.

Happy B-day Gina .. a little early.

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

Buon compleanno! I too have Secret smuggled in! You can't wear those blue shoes, because it's the lime lining that sets them apart.
You need to find one of the outlets for shoes that sprinkle Italy. (Some of those in le Marche handle the €1500 ones for €750, but I use one where you spend a whole lot less!)
As to the rest, I plead ignorance, but if sluf lollipops do it for you, welll...

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

A box in the mail! I am so happy for you Gina! Wishing you all the best on your birthday. I hope you enjoy your special day.

You got some great goodies. My mom brought me some wax floss this last visit and I just LOVE it!

Buon Compleanno e tanti tanti auguri!
Con Affetto,
Cyn

 
At 3:05 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

PS. I LOVE the book "A Thousand Days in Venice". I have the second book on my shelf here, complements of Amazon.UK!

 
At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

 
At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You! I didn't know it was your birthday! You got a lot of great stuff! Hope you enjoy your day!

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Nabeel said...

hmm @ birthday clause .. your subject line reminded me of the phenomenon "The Birthday Paradox" .. do you know what it is? Want me to explain?

Happy birthday .. loved the card that just says happy birthday .. with so many colors and the card is blue ..

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buon Compleanno! Happy Birthday!

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa! Lots of great snacks! Happy Birthday!

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Thanks to everyone. I don't feel 33 at all. Though over the past year I have noticed a few more lines here and there, I guess you can't be to vain as time marches on. Botox anyone?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home