.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Torino Gets Ready for the Olympics

Ever since I moved to Torino about 11 months ago, I knew about the upcoming 2006 Winter Olympics. As a matter a fact, two months ago I went to a photo exhibit at the Gallery of Modern Art in Torino that featured all the changes that have occurred all over the city due to the approaching games.

There are new billboard ad’s up with mostly watches that feature top skiers, skaters and other miscellaneous athletes. Silly circles are being installed all over the city with flowerbeds in the middle. red flags are popping up all over the city “Passion lives here” is the motto which makes me chuckle since Torino’s reputation isn’t passion at all. A handy new Olympic priority lane has been painted into the roads of Torino, its yellow with a blue 5-Olympic rings symbol. I think its fine for the three weeks that diplomats, journalists, athletes and possible VIP’s from all over the world converge on Piemonte.

I am however still worried about the fact the main train station and the little train stations are a mess. The work to improve many areas of the city is far from over. Cranes and forklifts block rush hour traffic, while traffic cones dot every roadway. I hope they get their butts into gear and clean up the mess because in 2 weeks all hell is going to break loose in this city.

Read more about the Olympics in Torino here.



It snowed today for the 2nd time this winter.


All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Blogger Tracie P. said...

"passion lives here," nice. i thought the piemontese were gregarious, loud, stereotypical italians until i lived in the south! now the napolitani, there's a passionate breed. can you imagine the olympics in naples? mamma mia...

 
At 7:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to any of the games?

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

Having known many who lived in Olympic venues, I have been wondering how it will be for you. I know people in LA who rented out their homes for stupendous prices!
Italy seems strangely sanguine about this. As an enormously interested Olympics fan, it feels odd. I can recall being riveted in Athens at an outside food booth with a TV as an Italian girl won a swimming race. All the focus here seems so far to be Italian skiers in training. I hear nothing much about the huge security burden.
I'm all for watching on TV and I hope there is really good continuous coverage. And I'll feel your pain as you can't get to the dry cleaner or the grocery.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I would love to get up there for a day or two just to check out the action! Are you still making plans to get out of Dodge?

Cyn

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Wow...madness will be ensuing in Torino soon! YIKES. There is always a last minute rush in Olympic cities, but reading this post made me chuckle. Whew...thank goodness I'm here many miles away!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home