.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Spaghettini alla Checca

After dinner as Deme is clearing the dinner dishes, he proclaims "I'm happy with my purchase." Since we've bought nothing new lately, I ask him "what purchase?" He then gives me that silly grin that makes everything crystal clear. The purchase is me. When he's had a good meal he often says kooky things like this after dinner. I had no idea a few toms, basil and pasta could make a man so giddy. Make someone in your life giddy too.

Spaghettini alla Checca (Checca is short for Francesca and so I have no idea where the name comes from)

1/2 a box of pasta
3 scallions, thinly sliced then rough chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
12 ounces of cherry tomatoes, halved, then halved again
10 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
a tiny bunch of parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
3-6 T. olive oil
2 oz. Mozzarella, 1/2" cubed
1 ounce of Parmesan, shavings or little chunks

1. Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Reserve a bit of pasta water.
2. Combine all ingredients except the Parmesan.
3. When the pasta is ready, toss with the tomato mixture. Add pasta water if necessary. Serve immediately.
4. Plate up and garnish with Parmesan chunks/shavings and drizzled olive oil.

This dish was fresh and light. Summer is over but I still found some flavorful cherry tomatoes, so the dish was a success.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


1 Comments:

At 11:52 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

I'd add a few toasted pine nuts because I love the crunch and the flavour, but this has got to be one of my favourite things to eat! It's a true modern comfort food!
Kim

 

Post a Comment

<< Home