.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The New Garden

I was totally ecstatic when I found out I would be able to rent a garden plot at the Marymoor community gardens this year. ($45 dollars a year and they supply the water.) The plot is 10' x 40' (or something like 2 X 10 m.) the garden is completely organic. There are many plots that benefit the food bank of Redmond, gardeners are encouraged to donate one row of their produce to the food bank. I enjoy being a part of the community that welcomes and cares about others.

I have to thank Dagne, Brandt Indie, Meladie, Bruce and my sister Kentra for coming out this weekend and helping us to dump 3 yd.³ of organic compost onto the plot. Meladie (my co-gardener) and Demetrio have shown interest in helping me to get the beds ready for planting. It's a lot of work and preparation to prepare the beds but after that's done it' mainly watering and weeding for the rest of the season.

Veronica has been an absolute doll in the garden. Sometimes she gets bored just watching me work but lots of my fellow gardeners stopped by to pay her some attention and that makes her very happy. I love being able to show her clods of dirt, earthworms and the various beetles that crawl around at my feet. Yesterday we both lay in the shade as I gave her a bottle. We both love being outdoors rain or shine.

In our garden we will mostly be growing Italian herbs and vegetables. I've planted wild arugula, lettuces, chicory and agretti. As summer approaches, fennel, puntarelle, cavalo nero and other greens will also be planted. I can't wait to see the look on Demetrio's face when I serve him fennel straight from our garden.



The garden bed before we tilled in the compost and fertilizer.



This is why I love Home Depot!



Here are some of the seeds we are growing! I miss Italian salads and greens so much.




All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Open Roads Mama said...

Hi Gina! I've been reading your blog for a while, commenting once in a while too, as far as I remember. :-) Congrats on your second pregnancy, looking forward to many baby photos and stories as the due-date approaches! Hope your new garden gives lots of yummy veggies and spieces! Big hi from the North, I'm in Vancouver, BC.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home