.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Ginger and Green Onion Crab


The cat was titillated but the dog paid on interest at all. We gave him a crab to play with 2 years ago and it scared the heebie-jeebies out of him. The crabs we bought (6 very large ones for 35 Euros, were live and heavy for their size. The flesh was tasty, it was well worth the time and effort.) (Photo by: Meladie D.)

Lately I have noticed that although I am great at taking photos of the raw ingredients of some of the recipes that I post, I have been neglecting to post photos of the finished product. I promise to do a better job of documenting in the future.

My mom makes the best crab in the world. She taught me to kill them, clean them and cook them when I was in high school. Any good Cantonese restaurant worth its salt will have this recipe on its menu. It is simple and very delectable. The hardest part of the whole recipe is killing and cleaning the crabs. A large sauté pan or wok is essential to cook the crabs well. (This link has great photos on how to kill and clean the crabs as well as a recipe. My recipe is not a "wet" one with gravy but a "dry" one.)

Ginger and Green Onion Crab
(Serves 4)

2 to 4 crabs (1 each is a generous serving), cleaned well and cracked lightly
1 large piece of ginger, peeled and sliced
4 to 8 stalks of green onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
Salt and Pepper
Oil for frying

Note: Buy the freshest crabs you can, live is always best. (Live in tanks are great!) The feisty ones are hard to get a hold of and kill but they are well worth it.

1. Before you cook the crabs, season them will salt and pepper. If you want your crabs spicy, add more pepper instead of chili.

2. Heat some oil in a wok, when it smokes, sauté the ginger pieces but do not let them burn. Add the green onion then the crab pieces and stir-fry until all crab pieces have turned color. Lower the heat, cover the crab, and cook for 10 minutes more. Now you are done, it really is that simple.

All contents copyright 2004-2007.
All rights reserved.

4 Comments:

At 1:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it sounds very very tasty .. the link you posted makes it look like a LOT of work ... I have no problems with throwing live lobsters into boiling water .. but killing a crab at knifepoint ... i need to try that someday .. but I feel akward about it :) Need some 'getting over it' there I guess.

 
At 2:14 AM, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I love love love crab, and cleaning it is actually pretty easy....just pop off the top and scrape all that stuff out! :)

 
At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can imagine your cat's mix of curiosity fear because ofa big crab. HA Ha HA. Poor kitty.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Elizabeth Abbot said...

Great recipe! I occasionally see crabs at my local market but I never knew what to do with them.
Good luck with your beautiful new baby!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home