.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mom's Dinner

Mom made a great dinner last night for Sharon, Fabien, Shilpa, Antonio, Demetrio and myself. Here is the side table as it started to get filled up with fresh spring rolls, various sauces and wine.

Deme is an expert at table settings. It's probably from all his years working in the restaurant business as well as waiting tables when he was a young man in Rome and London.

My favorite meals are those in which there are lots of Chinese and Vietnamese herbs and garnishes. My sisters' old boyfriend used to ask her why she was "putting a forest in her soup."

This is one of my favorite dishes of all time, poached chicken served with a ginger and green onion sauce. We also had fried wontons, Vietnamese shrimp soup and fresh spring rolls. For dessert we had one of my favorite desserts, plantain bananas cooked in coconut milk with tapioca pearls.



All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

8 Comments:

At 11:17 AM, Blogger Stef said...

Looking at the pictures make me miss my mommy's cooking. I like how your mom does not miss any details such as the garnishes for the dishes.

 
At 6:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a very good meal.

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks absolutely fantastic! I remember your mom saying that she was planning on doing those springrolls .. and just how is she cutting the spring onions like this ??? this looks amazing !!! Please give her my regards!

 
At 4:14 AM, Blogger S* said...

It was ABSOLUTELY delicious. Gives me the shivers just thinking about it. Thank you again!!

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"putting a forest in the soup" ha ha! it's so true!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Holy cow that's a big tureen of hoisen sauce!

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger ScruffyEatsLambchop said...

How did you find all the ingredients for Bun Rieu and all the greens for spring rolls? When I was Siena and traveling around Italy, I didn't see any?!

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

I found all the ingredients at the Vietnamese store of course in Torino. (there are only 2 in the city).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home