.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Nemi and its Famous Strawberries

Just a short drive from Rome, about 30-45 minutes, is the town of Nemi. This town is flanked by two volcanic lakes, Lake Nemi and Lake Albano which are popular with tourists. The road to Nemi was a quiet, winding one; the air was much cooler and fresher than in Rome and I think everyone was glad for a change in scenery. I highly recommend spending half an afternoon in Nemi if you happen to be in Rome in the summer. To read more about Nemi, click here.

Deme suggested we head up to Nemi, not only to see the sights but also to sample their famous strawberries. I love these little alpine strawberries that are basically impossible to buy in the States, although I have seen them many times on hikes at higher elevations. In Rome they are a must-try when they are in season.


The majority of the time the berries are served with vanilla gelato but I love them with lemon sorbet.


They are also commonly served in a miniature torte. They little gems are the size of a thimble with a wonderful woodsy after taste.


Rachel in Nemi.


Daniel in Nemi.

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

6 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger Sara said...

Why do the strawberries look very bruised in the first photo?

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

They were mixed with a bit of fine sugar and might have macerated a bit but still they were fresh and good. Also these berries have more seeds than you might be used to and the seeds are dark, maybe that is why they look bruised.

 
At 5:07 AM, Blogger DZER said...

thanks for making me super hungry for dessert now ... lol

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

oh that looks like so much fun! I only had one guest while in Montreux. It was my cousin and we had the best 3 days of touring Switzerland! Shortly after he went to Italy and proposed to his now wife.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Amy said...

Looks so yummy! Recipie!?!? Amy

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger M J said...

Hello! Popped over from BlogHer... I think you post cause me to gain 5 lbs! Too yummy.

You photos are wonderful. I hope to be in Italy next spring. I shall return.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home