.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Friday, July 14, 2006

To Run or Not to Run

I just finished this book. It's about a guy who runs Ultra Marathons, he's actually quite a wild man and very, very tough. Does pushing your body to the ultimate limits verge on insanity? I actually found the book very inspirational. It was a quick read with quite a few funny anecdotes.

I remember about 3-4 years ago, when I was I Seattle, stepping into a running store with Deme and wanting to replace my running shoes. He was training for the NY Marathon and I was going to pick up running for the 4th time. Time and time again, when I have felt sluggish or when I have wanted to give my body a quick boost, I have started running. At the gym my standard was 3 miles in about 30-35 minutes, a bit of a medium to slow jog but just the right pace for me.

As I tried on pair after pair of shoes, the salesman asked me how far did I run and how often. I replied about 3-4 miles, 2-3 times a week. I told him I have never tried to go farther and this was my limit. He said nonsense and asked me what would happen if I ran longer or farther. I quickly replied "I'll just die. I can't breathe."

Well that summer we ran and ran. I peaked at 2 hours and 10 miles. It was a great way to bond and spend time together. We really fell in love that summer, heading out at 7pm for cool runs in Marymoor Park, with and without the dog. I miss those days of seeing his heels flick behind him and seeing my falling waistline. Since moving to Italy I have not picked up running again, maybe I will after the baby arrives and I need a excuse to get into shape again.


All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

5 Comments:

At 9:44 AM, Blogger S* said...

Hey I'll come running with you. We chuck the kids with their daddies and go head out to the park. Or you can try that roller blade experiment again (once you figure it out, it's less harsh on the knees than running).

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Open Roads Mama said...

Cool, I'll definitely read that book, sounds very interesting. Acutally, our local library has it, even better. :-) I like jogging too, even though I'm not a pro runner, I do run on and off, especially in the winter when hiking and other summery activities are kept to a minimum because of the weather. Great post, thanks!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger RennyBA said...

Great to have finished the book, congratulations!
You better wait jogging until the baby has arived, but then it will be good for both of you:-)
Have a great end to your week:-)

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, my goodness. You shouldn't get me started. Some of my best runs where with a good friend when she was 8 months pregnant, it was the only time I could keep up with her!!!
Now I walk. I love walking but I sometimes miss the run - even my very slow run.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Miss H. said...

I think that running is one of the MOST liberating experiences that is available in life. There is just something about feeling the wind in your face and the sweat pouring down your body. In the end, there is such a feeling of satisfaction.

It is definitely something that I'm sure that you'll enjoy going back to! It will give you some quality thinking time post delivery!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home