.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Self-Inflicted

Although I am bettering my Italian daily, something I am proud of, I still don't think I have a firm grasp of beauty salon lingo. How does one say "piecey, choppy, thin-it out, fringy, textured, and layers?" What about "Do you do razor cuts or slide cuts?" I really would have loved to say "Did you see that movie called Behind the Ropes with Meg Ryan? Can you give me a cut like that but just a tad bit shorter?" (It was not a good movie by the way.) There is no way I could have gotten my hair cut at the hair salon in Italy.

Being the handy, crafty thing that I am, I simply gave myself a haircut. I first called Mary Beth, a gal from TN, who gave me a trim about 2 months ago but she has moved on to an upscale salon in Como. With a good pair of scissors in my hand I began by chopping off the first 10 inches, the rest just followed.





All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

16 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger Miss H. said...

I applaud your self-do. OMG, I wouldn't have been as brave, as you, honestly. Yet, you did a great job :-).

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Wow! Awesome job Gia! You look great and it looks professional. I would def. love to have you trim my hair!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger nikoline said...

A frequent reader of your site - never left a comment before though. Your hair looks great....do they have Locks of Love in Italy? You're gorgeous hair would be perfect for that!

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Thanks for all the support, I am glad it turned out nicely. It pays to pay attention at the beauty salon.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Looks great! Wow, your hair was REALLY long! :)

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

I ditto gigi - Locks of Love would love your hair if you kept it!

See you took my route of cutting your own hair...just as I went back to the salon! ahaha.

What we should really do is get together and cut each other's. That helps for the back :P

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Ms. M said...

Wow. I can't believe that you did that by yourself.

As for going to the beauty salon in Italy, my Italian is fairly good and I try to not get too risky when I need my hair cut. I've been to the beauty salon several times in Italy. The trick is to just go simple. You can't go too wrong with trim or a straight cut. If you want something fancier bring in a picture and don't try to make modifications to it. (I learned that one the hard way).

 
At 11:52 PM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

I looked through the magazines, especially the hair ones, and pointed then explained piu this and meno that! Last time, he was distracted or feeling hateful or something and he went waaay too far, and those who know me wouldn't believe there was a possibility of too far. I was nearly scalped. Sooo, next time I bitch about it and tell him he must leave me something to play with. Or, I could take your leftover hair and have strange extensions made, which might suit until I felt too lazy.

 
At 7:03 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

Wow, you did a great job Gina!

I always bring pictures when I go the hairdresser. It helps.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Look great Gina! You are a brave girl. What does the hubby think?

Cyn

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

10 inches! Wow! That's a lot! You did a great job. YOu look beautiful. Yes, "Locks of Love" is a great idea to donate you hair, if you don't have any other plans for it. Some lucky person could use it.

Best,
Paz

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You get an "A" on the haircut but a "D" on the eyebrows. Please stop the tweezer abuse.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Whoa on the eyebrows, I barely pluck them. I have had the same eyebrows since I was in highschool. I am Asian and don't have much bodily hair.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! You did a great job. The haircut looks so professional and very good on you!

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Linda said...

I am very impressed. I cut my bangs once with kitchen scissors and... let's just say it took a long time to recover from that. You are so brave! Good job. It looks very nice.

 
At 8:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. Your hair looks good and you are cute. Keep ot up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home