.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Take Me Out to the Cinema

This is my first post of 2006! I am looking forward to another year of blogging filled with more food, more travel, more ex-pat and blogging buddies and some new changes.

Last weekend our car was vandalized, the passenger side window was broken and the car got a bit wet, as it has been raining and cold in Rome for the last 10 days. Nothing was taken and so we were quite frustrated by the blatant act. With the holiday approaching, we knew it would be a few days before the window was repaired which gave us another 5 days or do in Rome. Being drenched, cold and downright dreary, we decide to go to a movie with Deme’s mom.

In Torino, one theatre plays movies in English/original version but at an inconvenient time, Tuesdays at 8 p.m. However, in Rome it is a different story. There are at least 3-4 theatres playing English movies a day. Today we went to see “Broken Flowers” featuring Bill Murray, Sharon Stone and friends. This was my first movie at the cinema in English in 10 months! I was excited, another reason to look forward to moving to Rome. Popcorn was had by all, there was a clean bathroom nearby, the seats were comfortable, the sound system was good, the assigned seats were right where we would have chosen them and the intermission was short.

Yes, you read right, the theatre seats were assigned when we bought our tickets. Not all theaters in Italy assign seats but many do. I usually like the sit in the middle of the row somewhere where I can see without straining my neck or squinting. Luckily, we got three great seats. In the middle of the movie, the film stopped rolling and the screen went blank, a bit of a moan rose up from the crowd.

I asked “Oh no, what’s wrong?”
Deme answered “The intermission.”
“Oh yeah, I forgot.” I answered.
(Last summer went to see Star Wars, in Italian, with the children and there was an intermission.)
“How long so these intermissions last?”
“Anywhere from 3-45 minutes.” he answered.
“Oh okay, what a pain.”

I was slightly annoyed but breathed a sigh of relief as the movie started up again about four minutes later.

All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 2:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Gia! Glad to see you are back despite the incident with your car. I think it's great that they have intermissions because sometimes I cannot make it through a whole movie without running out to use the bathroom!

 
At 10:45 PM, Blogger Sara said...

Happy New Year! I've got a great present for you. Will send soon.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Wow! I never thought about a movie theatre intermission. As you know, that is something reserved for "finer" entertainments here in the US (live theatre, dance, opera, symphony...). I guess for some that can be a good thing, but that definitely would make for a long evening or day of movie watching!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home