.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

My Late Post About Christmas/New Years in Rome

We left Torino for Rome on December 23rd so we could be in Rome two days before Christmas. My niece, Ginevra and her friend Giselle and I set up the Nativity. Some of the little figurines were 40 years old, Deme remembered many of them.

After setting up the Nativity, we set up the tree. My mother in law also has a giant cactus in the house that is about 20 feet tall and we decorated that too with gold tinsel. It gives a new meaning to Christmas cactus.

The kids got books, DVD's, games and clothes, the usual stuff. One night we kept my nephew Giordano up until 3 o'clock in the morning playing the game of Risk, which is called Risiko in Italy. Fun was had by all and in the end, Irene, Deme's sister committed hari-kari because she just wanted to get to bed. I was great to spend the time with both children. Also, my mother in law has decided that she would really like to me to teach them English and so the lessons have begun.

For New Years we went out to dinner at a friend's house. My darling husband overdressed in a tuxedo while I got drunk of 2 glasses of champagne and wore jeans. That night everyone went out and we left Zavier at home alone. I thought he might be afraid of all the noise that was going on all around us but he was not. He was fine, we even called and left a message for him on the answering machine at home. What freaks we are!

When midnight hit there were explosions all over Rome. Everyone had fireworks and the night sky lit up with color and light. The smell of smoke and gunpowder was everywhere and it seemed like there was a heavy fog in the air. It was wild. If this would have happened in Seattle, I think that the police would have been called and someone arrested but when everyone is doing, it is hard to stop. From the terrace, we got a great view.

After 10 days, we are back in Torino. We only planned to be in Rome for a week but our car was broken into and it took a few more days to get it fixed. Very frustrating considering the fact that they did not take anything and it was pouring on Rome so our car got all wet. Mario the husband of Deme's mom said they were probably gypsies and did not know what to do with CD's and cell phone chargers. I am glad they did not take anything, I would have felt even more violated.

All in all the 10 days we spent in Rome were nice. My mother in law is starting to tear up when we leave and so I think that is our cue to try to move to Rome when we can.

All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 12:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You left a phone message for Zavier? HAHAHA. Did he call you back?
Sorry to hear about your car.

 
At 1:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My wife really wants to go to Rome for our Honeymoon. No, we haven't taken it yet. We've been married for 6 months now. How is it for your average tourist? Fill me in a bit?

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Sounds like a lot fun. Sorry to hear about your car, but happy you made it home safe and sound.

Remember, you are NOT freaks! You are just dog lovers. Zavier wasn't home to take your call anyway, rumor has it that he was out at a party with Opus and Roscoe.

Buon Anno!
Cyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home