.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Thanksgiving in Italy

Growing up on an island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, which happens to also be an American territory, did not shield me in anyway from Thanksgiving. I made a paper plate turkey in the first grade complete a candy corn beak, I learned about the pilgrims and the Indians, I even tried to make a turkey I high school. Needless to say, it was a sad attempt. My dad hated turkey and kept commenting over the years that it was always so dry. I pretty much agreed until I moved to Seattle.

Going to college, working for great families as a nanny and not having my parents in Seattle, I was often invited to Thanksgiving dinners that opened my eyes to the warmth this holiday radiated as well as the wonders of moist turkey, fresh cranberry/orange relish and oyster stuffing. This holiday season I know I will walk around Torino missing what I never thought I even cared about, Thanksgiving.

Instead to being down in the dumps about it I’ve decided to make a meme out of it and I’m tagging, American Girl in Italy, J. Doe, Sandra, Ms. in Italy and Cynthia. All ex-pats and all have Thanksgiving history I’m sure. The meme is to make your own shallow and genuine list and post it on your blog.

10 Shallow Things I am Thankful For

1. The garbage dumpster for my building is right outside the main doors.
2. The hair on my head grows really fast; the ones on my legs grow rather slowly.
3. My small dog has really small poops and has learned to go potty on the terrace.
4. I can eat just about anything without gagging.
5. I am rather tall and can see more things from up here.
6. I am rather crafty.
7. Multi-tasking is not a problem for me. I can brush my teeth and wash my hair at the same time. Just don’t let my sister tell you about the time I was driving, writing a check and putting eyeliner on, all at the same time.
8. When the alarm clock rings, I have an uncanny ability to ignore it.
9. I am ambidextrous.
10. I NEVER get jetlag.

10 Things I Am Genuinely Thankful For


1. I have a very large family, parents, step-parents, and 5 great sisters. Lately, we have been trying to become closer knit, writing letters, reading and commenting on one another’s blogs, making phone calls and just trying to connect.
2. I have a great bounty of friends (in Torino and in Seattle) that I can rely on in times of happy and sad.
3. Material things don’t interest me much.
4. The integrity I learned from my dad as a child had stuck with me my entire life and I see no sign of it fading.
5. From my mom and dad I learned how to cook but more importantly how to taste.
6. My parents taught me about sacrifice, hard work and duty to one’s family.
7. My blood pressure is under control and all in all my health is great!
8. I am supporting my husband in his dream to return home, I am a good wife. (99.99% of the time)
9. I have great in-laws that see me as a positive addition to the family.
10. My darling husband, he drives me crazy, makes me mad, challenges me, forces me to learn, makes me laugh but most of all loves me.

All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

9 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Wow! What a great list of things. You definitely blessed and have a lot to be Thankful for not only at Thanksgiving, but every day. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

ok! I will do it tomorrow!

Tag! I'm it! hehe

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

Can I steal some of your answers? hehe

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WILL do my homework today.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I am so excited! My first tag! I will get to work. Wishing you and your family a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving.
Cyn

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Judith in Umbria said...

Gia, my list will be made in the US, and I will include watching someone really special bloom a gazillion miles from homeground. That would be you. Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Choco Pie said...

Gia, I posted mine. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Gia! Have a great one!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ecclesiastes:
Gia:
"'Tis a gift to come down where you ought to be..."

Have a really nice Thanksgiving and appreciate how important it is in your adopted country.

Look up Lincoln's Thanksgiving address in 1865- just a few days before he was murdered. He set the tone for Thanksgivings ever since that time.

Mike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home