.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Some Tuscan Things I've Noticed

Here are a few more photos of "Things I've Noticed..." I could not help snapping away with my camera when I was in Tuscany last week. Many things still shock and amaze me. Here are the latest:


A stuffed cinghiale (wild boar) outside a salumeria or sausage shop in Chianti. Cinghiale sausage and salami is fantastic.


This shop was jam packed with people, everyone wanted a bit of something to take home. We walked away with 2 large salami, aged pecorino cheese, guanciale (like pancetta but from the cheek area) and a large chunks of pancetta.


Look at the legs with hair and the little tail attached, I was amazed and the place smelled heavenly.


This is Billy, Enzo and Claire's pup. He is 80-90 kilos about 180-200 pounds and only still a pup. He is a maremmano, a kind of shepard and guard dog from Maremma in Toscana. He looks like a Great Pyrenese mountain dog. He's gigantic but if you say his name, then he's a lover. If not, watch out, his bark shakes the thick walls of the villa.


Good Tuscan olive oil is so green you think your putting wheat grass extract on your bread. Yummy!!

All contents copyright © 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

6 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

First of all, was the wild boar stuffed because he ate too much? I saw a similar site at a sausage shop in Siena (although it was just the head outside of the store).

Second of all, these boars knew they would be showing off their legs, why on earth didn't they shave?!

Best wishes on your eye surgery. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Cyn

 
At 6:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the boar photo! And the hairy boars' legs hanging in the shop.

 
At 9:18 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Ok it's a boar and it's sooo ugly but at least it's dead and stuffed! Ewwwwww- it reminds me of the live cows I spotted tied outside a butcher shop two weeks ago. Yuck!

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Linda said...

A stuffed boar in front of a meat shop? that's funny :)

That dog is just gorgeous. I want that dog!

 
At 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That pig looks great for fatada for our next fiesta!

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Ilva said...

I saw a real one the other day and I saw it twice!! Unfortunately it was alive and kicking and I am incapable of killing so...I have to eat salame di cinghiale instead!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home