.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Happy 1st Blog Year!

Happy Birthday Blog! A year ago this month, I started this blog so I could keep in touch with friends and family. The man I was dating, Demetrio, had quit his job and wanted to return to Italy. (Most of my friends already know this.). He began packing, sold his car and was headstrong to leave the Northwest. I was determined to go with him.

A bit of history: We began dating seriously in May of 2004 and I wondered what would happen to “us” when he headed back home. I must admit to my delight he asked me to take a long vacation, 6 months and return with him it Italy. This meant I would have to quit my job, store my belongings and do all manner of long range planning. After getting a taste of Italy in April of 2004, I was more than excited to get a chance to stay and really explore the country. Having lived half of my life on Guam and the other half in Seattle, I was a bit anxious about living in Europe but kept the idea of Demetrio asking me to stay for good in the back of my mind. To make a long story short, we were married in December of 2004 and made the move TOGETHER.

This blog has truly been a lifeline for me. My dad says he reads it everyday. My mom reads it, my sisters read it, my friends, cousins, and now I’ve made new friends via my blog. I realize more and more each day that I cannot let my life proceed, advance, evolve, change, without documenting it. I’ve written about my loneliness, living so far away from family and friends has been a very difficult adjustment. (I am from a family of 7+ people). I’ve written about my observations and all my new discoveries here in Italy, from the outrageous amount of dog poop on the street to the most fantastic foods I have ever tasted. I’ve written about weekend trips, meeting my new family here in Italy, our travels, my cooking adventures, all in an attempt to not forget this journey I am making. Thank you for sharing the voyage with me. I read all the comments and enjoy the many points of view represented by your readership. I can’t see myself not writing, I can’t see my self ever losing interest in writing, I tell myself everyday, the journey is not over.

All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved
.

9 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gina congratulations on your year of blogging. Thank you for your wonderful keen observations, your humour, and your honesty. And thanks for being such a wonderfully generous person. I'm so glad I found you -- thanks to THE BLOG!

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Happy 1 year!!
I am one of those people who stumbled across this blog only recently and I really enjoy reading about all of your experiences, both good and bad, as you adjust to life in a different country.
Here's to many more.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Ziz said...

Congrat's girlie!! :D The first year (in my opinion) is the hardest for blogging. I went through a lot of 'should I or shouldn't I' when it came to blogging, and I'm really glad to see that you have embraced your blog! Way to go! :)

I'm looking forward to another year of seeing your beautiful face, that handsome husband ;) and your sweetie pie doggy!!! :)

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also a fairly new reader.
Happy first year anniversary.
I like your blog-especially the photos of food.

 
At 2:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girl!!! Congratulations on your blog anniversary! Keep up the great writing and the equally wonderful observations.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

Paz

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

Happy one year Gina. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to reading about your future adventures. Auguri!

Cyn

 
At 2:35 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Happy Blogday! Didn't the year go by so quickly!

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll chime in too-- happy one year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home