.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Thursday, August 25, 2005

My First Gyno Visit

I'll keep this short and sweet; the hubby already warned me not to reveal too much and to be "careful" so here goes. There were similarities and differences as was expected. For the sake of my parents, I will leave out many details.


In the Good Ole U.S.A (Seattle)
-They have cheap plastic chairs in the clinic
-They have pretty good magazines in the waiting room
-My doctor writes with plastic pen
-My gyno was a man, he had a moustache
-He wore Birkentocks and jeans
-Rubber gloves were used
-The stir-ups were metal
-The scale was a typical 2 ton, metal sliders on top and bottom rungs, doctor's scale.
-My blood pressure is taken
-They give you a paper gown, no paper slippers
-The doctor leaves the room when you undress
-I don't need a translator aka my husband
-I always ask questions and am given answers
-I usually pay with a credit card



In Italy
-The office had nice plush leather chairs
-They had trashy/gossip magazine and good magazines in the waiting room
-My doctor wrote with a Mont Blanc pen
-My gyno was also a man, clean shaven
-He wore a white coat
-Rubber gloves were used
-Stir-ups were plastic
-The scale was digital
-My blood pressure was taken
-I was given paper slippers, no gown
-I was behind a blind when I was asked to undress, he did not leave the area.
-I needed a translator
-I was allowed to ask questions and was given answers
-My hubby paid with a check

All in all a very good visit and I am 100% healthy. A big "thank-you" to my friend Laurie in Torino, who recommended him to me. He was exactly what she described, smart, friendly, very educated, reasonably priced and best of all he understood a bit of English. Although he spoken only in Italian. I might bring my own robe next time though.

5 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everytime I read about your experiences with the Italian Healthcare system I'm surprised and frustrated (I guess you must be more frustrated than me). I wonder how a doctor can keep his knowledge up to date if he doesn't know English. Doesn't he read International Journals or attend conferences?
Bye

Matteo

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Ciao Matteo, I have seen journals on this desk and he is much better than the doctor from Rome who as reading from a book dated 2002. That made me worry. Anyways I have found a rare gem in this guy and plan to keep him for a long while.

P.S. If you want to chat cameras e-mail me personally and I was a bit disappointed you did not get a hold of me when you were in Torino. The photos of the Mole and Superga were great.

giaparsons@hotmail.com

 
At 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paper slippers, but no robe? LOL! Now, that's an experience! ;-)

It's a good thing your husband was there. I'm sure his presences definitely helped to alleviate any stress in this new medical environment. Plus, he made a good translator. ;-)

Glad to read that overall, you had a good visit and are 100% healthy. Yay!

BTW, in response to part of Mr. M's comment, English is not the official medical language (Latin script is commonly used in prescriptions, though.). I'm sure that the doctor informs himself with new information via journals printed in Italian. ;-)

Best,
Paz

 
At 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post was hilarious! I loved the way you compared US and Italian OB/Gyn styles. I especially love the plastic vs Mont blanc pen...hahaha! No robe huh? An experience I'm sure :-) Well, my OB/Gyn does leave the room while I undress, but his secretary/asst stays to comment on my tan lines...hahaha :-)

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so funny....I'm going in for my appointment today, I hate them. I hate those appointments with a passion.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home