.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Monday, August 15, 2005

Contemplating a Hair Cut

A small warning:This post contains old photos which was cause stomach discomfort to those pictured in the photos; followed by bits of groaning and delusional thoughts of certain people wanting to “kill” a certain oldest sister.

I have been contemplating a hair cut for several months now. In July I almost whacked it all off because of the heat. When my sisters and I were children our mom did not allow us to have long hair. She had 5 kids to look after on a humid and tropical isle. She did not want to deal with braids, ponytails or rat’s nests; to save money she gave us all personalized bowl haircuts. One year she cut my hair so short, she claimed I kept wiggling and so it just kept getting shorter and shorter; I refused to go to school the next day. After a twenty dollar bribe I stopped crying and went off to buy come candy.


A fine example of 5 "homemade" haircuts.

Keeping a head full of long hair may have just been rebellious acts by all my sisters and I. Living on and island also contributes to the practice. It’s not practical at all, especially with the heat and often 100% humidity of Guam. It’s a hassle to dry in the winter and after a while many people develop headaches, neck pains and split ends. When I was in high school I had a classmate who had the longest head of hair in the entire school; boys had long hair too. The long, black tresses wisped against the back of her knees as she walked down the school’s hallways. She was not allowed to cut her hair; he father insisted she keep it long. We as a family followed that trend, see below. Read disclaimer above, old photos about to be revealed.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The twins in high school.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My baby sister Tia at 4 years old.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My 5th sister Sara. Here we're driving from Seattle to Vancouver.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Gia at Highland Park in Seattle, during the big reunion of 2002.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm in college here and vacationing in Hawaii.


Now I think only Gia and I have long hair. Sad to see a family tradition fade away. I know Tia got a hair cut recently but I'm not sure how short. It may seem like s trivial issue to some but I'm really having a hard time with it. To cut or not to cut, that is the question.

6 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, Blogger Gia said...

I was certain it was DAD that wanted to keep our hair short. He thought it was cleaner and having a minimum of 6 females in the house, it saves on shampoo and creme rinse.

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Gia said...

Okay dude, the pic of Anna and Kentra in those dresses had me rollin'!

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Dad never smelled my head and told me to re-wash my hair. But mom did and you know mom ruled the house.

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Gia said...

STOP THE PRESSES!!! Are those fingernails you're sporting in that college photo???

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Sara said...

I don't think it was $20 you were bribed with. That was a lot of money for us at the time. I think it was $5. Mom confirms that $20 seems too much.

Also, I think the main reason we had short short hair growing up was because we caught lice all the time at school. Mom remembers 3 or 4 bouts of lice hitting all five of us.

Sara

 
At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This story is sooo funny. It reminds me of my own childhood. We all had short hair when we were small. Like you said: heat, lice, etc. :) My mom used to cut our hair and sometimes she would leave one side shorter then the other and then blame the shape of ou heads!! I just wanted to cry each time she decided to "trim an inch". Since I was 16 I never had my hair short again! BTW, the kids picture is adorable. Girls rule!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home