.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ristorante La Betulla

I ate at this great little restaurant last weekend and forgot to write about it. By the way, the Slow Food Osteria Guide is a great way to find "hole-in-the-wall" places that usually do not disappoint. (Marco was in town and we always go out to eat when we have friends in town.) As a matter a fact, I only write about 10 percent of the restaurants I DO eat at. Lately I have gotten lazy and often forget to put my little camera in my purse or I begin eating my meal and forget about the photo.

At La Betulla, just 20 minutes outside of Torino, I ate three courses before I remember to take my camera out for dessert.

We had a great meal there. The two tasting menus were priced at 28 and 38 Euros with 4-5 dishes and a dessert of your choice. I was surprised at how reasonably the menu was and the uniqueness of the dishes. For a starter I had three small filets of red snapper grilled with orange zest, then I had a bit of Demetrio's pasta which was ravioli filled with peas and mint, and for my main course I had a great piece of cod on a bed of mashed potatoes. I was saving room for dessert and had a new take on traditional panna cotta, which was delicious. See photo below.

I definitely want to go back again to try the tasting menus after the baby is born, maybe with my mom too. I know she will love the freshness of the seafood.

A pistachio panna cotta made with almond milk instead of cream and topped with fresh berries. Perfect for my diet.


La Betulla
Chef: Franco Giacomino
Strada Giaveno, 29
(TO) Piemonte, Italy
Tel: +39 011 933 106
Closed on Mondays

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Larry Aiello said...

Hey Gia,

That pistachio desert looks very delicious! And the fruit makes it healthy. Italians are very creative when it comes to their cuisine, aren't they?

Take care
Larry
http://www.Italian-Link.com

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Closed in 2012 was fabulous while it lasted.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SORRY, I said it was closed, I got it mixed up with LaBetulla in Brossasco, the chef there was also named Franco...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home