.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Douja D'Or (Do-Yah-Door)

The Douja D'Or means "golden cup" and is a wine tasting festival in Asti. Yesterday we were invited to meet up with a friend, Marco, to see the city and taste some wine. We were up for it and very glad we had a bit of a break from the rain that has been falling on and off for four days. Since it was my first time at the Douja D'or, I won't claim to be a seasoned attendee. You can read more about it here, here and here.

After a quick stroll through the small open market; we headed for the wine tasting. The first thing we did was grab a catalog, there were 373 wines waiting to be swirled and savored. The men opted to taste 4 reds and I opted for 2 whites. Most of the tastes cost 1.50 Euros but a few choice winners cost 2.50 a taste. With glasses in hand we began the tasting. Being 8 months along, I opted to walk around, sample local cheese, honey and breads while the men discussed their wines at length. Of the four wines they tasted, they picked Barbera d'Asti Superiore 2004 Riva and I picked Moscato di Cagliari 2003 Donna Jolanda as my favorite. I also tasted a Gewurztraminer from Alto Adige but did not like it. (I am a sucker for sweeter wines.) What I loved best about the whole experience was being able to taste a wide variety of wines then heading off to the cantina to buy the exact ones you tasted and liked. (I think if we had a trolley, we would have ended up with more bottles.)



Some of the wines waiting to be sampled.


Marco and Deme scour the catalog for wines they want to taste.


We end up buying 6 bottles and taking them home. (4 for Deme and 2 for me.)

All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home