.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Heat Wave

The news this week in Italy is of course Italy winning a World Cup match against Australia and the heat wave. I was in Rome last weekend, it was HOT, when I saw a very interesting commercial on TV. A volunteer agency was offering assistance to elderly individuals who needed help esp. when the temp. soars. This agency offered to run errands such as light shopping so elderly folks did not have to be out and about in the heat. What a wonderful idea.

The European heat wave 2003 killed tens of thousands of people. Needless to say, I try to keep cool by closing the shutters in the house to keep the sunlight out, running a fan to ventilate the apartment, drinking plenty of fluids, taking cold showers and sleeping with our new air conditioner at night.



Last year I did without one but this year the temp. started rising in late May and I knew I would need one to sleep comfortably at night. Even the dog seems hot. Both animals sleep without making a peep. I only wish I could run the air con during the day but the price of electricity in Italy makes it prohibitory. Having it at night is a Godsend so I don't think I should get too spoiled and just thank my lucky stars.




All contents copyright 2004-2006.
All rights reserved.

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Blogger Sara, Ms Adventures in Italy said...

Hey Gia - It was the summer of 2003!! I remember because that was my first summer here, alone, and with a broken fan! Suuuucked. :) Glad you have some AC!! Gotta keep you two (+ Deme) cool.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Ilva said...

Let's hope it's not going to be like THAT summer! It's hot here in Tuscany too but at least we live in the countryside and can sleep with the windows open...

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I hate, hate, HATE this heat. The humidity is even worse! Thank goodness you guys bought an air conditioner. We don't run ours much in the day, but I sleep right in front it at night. My cats sit on our bed with their faces into the wind. They asked if they could go live in America for the summer where there is central AC. I think I will go with them....

Keep cool!
Cyn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home