.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Happy Anniversary to Us-A Photo Tribute

I was really trying to get this post in on December 4th but I missed the mark by about 10 minutes. Ugh!!

December 04, 2004 was the day Deme and I hopped on a plane, flew to Las Vegas and got married. I asked him about 3 weeks ago if he had thought about what he was getting me for our anniversary. He said "I hadn't thought about it." With my worries about my cat, I told him I did not want to do anything fancy and asked him if I could make a suggestion. I wanted an authentic Demetrio dinner! It's been over a year since my darling husband has made dinner for me. With the move, his job and my new role as a casalinga (housewife) I usually do all the cooking. I knew how skilled he was in the kitchen, how much he loved to cook and eat and how his creative juices have not been allowed to flow lately, so I thought this was a great way to rekindle them. Here's to us!



Deme and I at a birthday party of mine in March of 2004. He was a show stopper that night; clad in his leather pants and toting a great bottle of champagne.



We meet on Alki Beach at an international BBQ. My good friend Miriam invited me to get out of the house and meet a few of her friends. We arrived with cheese, olives, prosciutto and a long baguette. Demetrio wandered over to chat with us and the rest is history. This photo was taken at Alki but about a year after we had actually met.



We got into Le Cirque for our wedding dinner, a gift from my boss Marc. I still remember his words "Make it Memorable." It was. I asked for a copy of the menu which I keep in our wedding album. I was so stuffed that night!



The waiter was more than happy to take our picture. As a Las Vegas waiter, he'd seen a lot of weddings. He posed us, asked us to smile and gladly snapped away.



Demetrio and Zavier started the day bright and early with a 10K run. My super fit hubby set his mind on finishing the run in 52 minutes and he beat his goal at 51 minutes and some odd seconds. I had a friend over; Natalie and I slept in until 10:30 a.m. and had a leisurely breakfast as we waited for my beloved to arrive home. (The dog did not actually go on the run, he was not registered.) Ha! Ha!



We spent the afternoon at a museum near our house looking at photos of Torino during the Olympic construction and seeing varous installations of modern art. Natalie snapped this photo of us as we left the museum. When Demetrio saw this photi he said he liked it since we both look happy and it "would fool everyone."



This is definitely one of the main reasons I married Deme, he makes great pasta and has excellent knife skills. He says he married me because I knew what a chiffonade was and I am the best soux chef ever.



Another reason Deme and I are a hit, we both love to fillet fish, NOT! This flat, sole like fish called a rombo gave him a run for his money today. We had three knives out, pliers (to pull the skin off) and towels to help us grip the tail. What a piece of work this fish was.



The pasta is called maltagliati (which translates literally to "cut badly". This pasta is cut by hand to just about any size, length and shape. I've had them in triangle shaped, in squares, long and thin and fat and short. Most of the time they are made "on the fly". We sauteed some baby artichokes and then added vongole (clams). This was very delicious.



For our main course Deme layered sliced, herbed, fried potatoes, delicate rombo fillets and two thin slices of tomato, then popped them into the oven. Add a few drops of new oil that we helped to make, chopped parsley and a few drops of lemon and you have a dish to die for. This is one of my favorite dishes.


All contents copyright 2004/2005.
All rights reserved.

18 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Montreal Mama said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

 
At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schweet!

You guys look great together. Only one year and you already look alike! How bout that.

Happy Anniversary, girly.

 
At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary Gia & Deme! You both look so happy... just glowing! :)

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to you both!
It looks like you had a wonderful anniversary meal too!

 
At 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops I missed congratulating you yesterday....but was thinking of you guys from the swamp! CONGRATULATIONS Gina and Demetrio --- it gets better and better!!!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Cynthia Rae said...

I was drooling by the time I finished reading your blog entry. Dinner looked great!

You two are such a beautiful couple. Thanks for sharing the pictures! Happy one year anniversary. Wishing you many many years of happiness. Auguri!

Con Affetto,
Cyn and Danilo

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Eulinx said...

Buon Anniversario!
You two make a real good couple.
And the food looked delicious!!
Auguri

 
At 5:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Happy Anniversary!!!! :-)

 
At 6:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congradulations guys!!!

The photo's are great and I especially like the comment about "fooling everyone". The smiles are so natural so I believe it's not fooling at all. It's genuine! So happy anniversary and may you have 100 more!

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger sarainitaly said...

Auguri! Buon Anniversario! Your dinner and pics look great. I love the one from Alki!

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Alice Twain said...

Ok, tell Deme. please, that clean shaven he sometimes looks a bit like Gerry Scotti, but with those mustaches he was really HOT.
You? Oh, you are just too beautiful ;-P

(Happy anniversary in delay.)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Gia-Gina said...

Thank you everyone for the great, sweet comments. I relayed them to Demetrio, esp. the one about him being hot! One year and he says it feels like 10 since we have been through so much. We try very hard everyday to make things work and this is the hardest work there is in life I think.

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Miss H. said...

Happy belated anniversary. May you have many more happy years together.

I love that you cook together, everything that you show on this blog always looks so scrumptious ;).

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Effimera said...

Hi, I just stumbled across your blog this morning...really nice. And thanks a lot...it's only 9:30 and I'm already hungry!! :-)
Congrats on your anniversary.

 
At 12:49 AM, Blogger Stef said...

Happy Anniversary!

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger melusina said...

Happy Anniversary! You make a beautiful couple.

Love the marathon tag for your sweet dog too!

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Love the pics!

Paz

 
At 7:35 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

Just stopped by to say Congrats! The two of you making a beautiful couple! The food - wow, yummy! Wishing you both the very best and many many more celebrations to come!

Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home