.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Gia-Gina Across the Pond

So I've decided to follow my husband to his native Italy. Follow our adventures as we eat, drink, travel, adapt to and explore this remarkable country. Part food blog, part photo blog but mostly my rants and raves. After our two years in Italy, we relocated across the Atlantic "pond" and are back in the States.

Sunday, October 02, 2005

A Few Good Things


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

When I saw these peppers growing on the the balcony of a friend, I was shocked. These tiny pepin peppers grew as in my mother's gardens as well. Although they are only the size of a little teardrop, they pack quite a punch. My friend, Federica was kind enough to give me a sprig. I'll use a few then dry the rest and plant them in the spring.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The market was absolutely overflowing with people Saturday morning. I saw plenty of porcini vendors but only one man was willing to cut into the stems and check for worms. This was a great vender, I have no idea how much he was charging but loved his service and bought 5 medium-large mushrooms from him. I paid almost 6 Euros for the bunch. Enough for a simple lunch of porcini and fresh fettucine. A homecoming lunch fit for a king.

3 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute looking peppers. Let us know what happens when you grow your own peppers. ;-)

Your porcini and fresh fettucine sound delicious!

Paz

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. that sounds like a really good vendor. Someone to go back to because he knows how to treat his customers!

Paz

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just discovered your blog and have been enjoying reading about your experiences, though it makes me even more nostalgic about my year in Italy (way too long ago) and a bit jealous. ;)

Couldn't resist complementing your porcini photo. We almost never get fresh ones in California and, when we do, they're a small fortune and not nearly as fresh and beautiful as these.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home